Many of the products and services coming from the education and Public Outreach Department (ePOD) are aimed at encouraging and supporting the activity of informal educators such as science centres, museums, planetariums, public observatories, astronomy clubs etc.
To be informed about new opportunities offered by ESO, informal educators are invited to subscribe to our Outreach Newsletter, sent out once per month via email starting July 2011. To subscribe please fill out this form.
Products and services available for informal educators:
- Press releases with focus on translated versions you can share on your websites if you have a news section.
- The press releases now also include SpaceScoop for kids — a service provided by ESO in partnership with the educational project Universe Awareness (UNAWE) that explains ESO Science and Photo Releases in a language that children aged between seven and eleven years old can easily understand. To access them, look for the Space Scoop icon located at the top of each press release's page.
- Free access to mega- and gigapixel images in the image archives on eso.org and spacetelescope.org (use advanced search) to print and display in your facility
- Free access to thousands of HD videos
- Free order vouchers to order ESO products from the ESO shop
- The chance to host ESO exhibitions
- Astronomy Communication resources
- Science centres and other institutions that regularly do informal education and outreach projects, events or campaigns with ePOD can apply to become ESO Outreach Partner Organisations. Examples are for instance the GigaGalaxy Zoom project and Hubble’s 15th and 20th anniversaries.
- Planetarium shows e.g. In Search of our Cosmic Origins led by APLF, shown in ~62 planetariums, and a new collaboration initiated with APLF on a planetarium show for ESO’s 50th anniversary.
- Consider inviting our national ESON member and maybe in the future an ESO scientist to talk at an event
- Sign up for the outreach newsletter starting July. Click HERE
- ESO’s 50 Anniversary in 2012! Get involved if you want to organise dedicated events etc. Subscribe to the outreach newsletter to get more information.
- Join our increased social media activities so that we can support each other’s presence: ESO Facebook, ESO Twitter
- Join our group of volunteer translators