Phase 2 Proposal Preparation: The P2PP Tool
What is P2PP?
The Phase 2 Proposal Preparation (P2PP) Tool is used to create and manage Observation Blocks (OBs). These OBs are used to describe observing sequences for all ESO instruments, both in Visitor Mode and in Service Mode. For further information, see the P2PP User Manual. In Service Mode P2PP is also used to submit the other elements composing the Phase 2 package, including finding charts, a Readme file, and possibly ephemerides files for moving targets.
Please note that the ID and password for the use of P2PP are your ESO User Portal username and password.
Current Version: P2PP 2.13.1 - P2PP version 2.13.1 is be used to prepare, submit, or retrieve any OBs from the ESO OB Repository. P2PP version 2.13.1 can be retrieved through our registration and download page and will work with Java 1.5 or higher.
What is new in this release ?
- P2PP 2.13.1 is identical to P2PP 2.13, except that the ESO User Portal username undergoes a case-insensitive check when used in P2PP.
- P2PP 2.13 has been modified such that it now accepts only your ESO User Portal username and password. For this version, both the ESO User Portal username and password are case-sensitive.
- P2PP 2.12 has been ported to Java 1.5. Our P2PP download page will allow you to retrieve the appropriate version of the Java Runtime Environment, if it is not yet installed on your computer.
- Starting with this version of P2PP, the differential velocities for moving targets are to be specified directly in the target package, and not in the acquisition template anymore. Please check Section 5.5.3 of the P2PP User Manual for more details.
- The README file for Service Mode runs is now integrated within P2PP and should not be submitted separately as a plain text file. In this way, the entire Phase 2 submission now takes place from within P2PP.
- The Ephemerides files for moving targets must now be attached to their corresponding OBs, in a way analogous to the way that finding charts are attached to their OBs since Period 73.
- The P2PP-submit mechanism used to notify to ESO the completion of the Phase 2 submission process is now also integrated in P2PP. The e-mail to email@example.com that users were requested to send at the end of their Phase 2 preparation is thus replaced now by just clicking a button in the P2PP main GUI.
- Since Period 74, the constraint set has been customized for each instrument, and is now distributed as a part of the Instrument Package. The change is transparent to the user. See the P2PP User Manual for more details.
- Since Period 73, finding charts for Service Mode runs must be produced as JPEG files, attached to the OBs, and submitted to the ESO Database as a component of the OBs using the Finding Chart facility in P2PP.
Please report any problems with the installation or use of P2PP to the ESO User Support Department
P2PP for the observation preparation for VISTA, VST, and UT2 instruments
Users having to prepare OBs for the public surveys, GTO and open time observatons on the VISTA, VST and UT2 instruments (X-SHOOTER, FLAMES and UVES) must use the new P2PP version 3.
This page is valid for all instruments