ESO/MPE/MPA Gas Matters Club
ESO/MPE/MPA Gas Matters Club
A picture arises where galaxy formation is fed by inflows of gas from
the inter-galactic medium (IGM), counteracted by strong galactic
winds, which in concert establish the growth rate of gas and stars
within galaxies at all cosmic epochs. These processes can be
collectively described as a "baryon cycle". The club on "Gas Matters"
covers the following topics:
- gas in its atomic and molecular forms
- gas accretion/galactic winds
- WHIM/hidden baryons
Every second Monday at 11am in the ESO library.
Co-organisation: Annalisa De Cia (ESO), Rob Yates (MPA), Celine Peroux (MPA visitor).
If you want to present your work or suggest a speaker, please send us an email.
You can also subscribe to the mailing list.
- 21st Jan: Rodrigo Herrera-Camus (MPE)
- 4th Feb: Sthabile Kolwa (ESO)
- 10th Dec: Celine Peroux (Marseille) - "On which scales are metals mixed?"
- 26th Nov: Rajeshwari Dutta (ESO) - "Prevalence of neutral gas in centres of merging galaxies"
- 12th Nov: Johan Comparat (MPE) - "Near-ultraviolet Spectroscopy of Star-forming Galaxies from eBOSS: Signatures of Ubiquitous Galactic-scale Outflows"
- 29th Oct: Jan Bolmer (MPE) - "Evidence for diffuse molecular gas and dust in the hearts of gamma-ray burst host galaxies - Unveiling the nature of high-redshift damped Lyman-alpha systems"
- 15th Oct: Annagrazia Puglisi (CEA) - "The ALMA view on the Mass-Size relation at z>1"
- 1st Oct: Ed Jenkins (Princeton) - "Measurements of Thermal Pressures for the Neutral Diffuse Gas in the Local Part of our Galaxy"
- 16th Jul: Paola Andreani (ESO) - "Extreme excitation in high redshift galaxies: APEX and ALMA observations of the Atomic Carbon (CI) and Carbon monoxide (CO) emission lines"
- **TUESDAY** 15th May: Gustavo Orellana (Universidad de Concepcion, Chile) - "Scaling Relations for Galaxies: connecting stars, gas and dust in one plane"
- 16th Apr: Patricia Schady (MPE) - "The environments of explosive stellar transients: clues to the progenitors of ccSNe"
- 19th Mar: Jeremy Fensch (ESO) - "Gas matters: how gas fraction helps us better understand star formation in z = 2 galaxies"
- 19th Feb: Aleksandra Hamanowicz (ESO) - "Nuclear transients seen by OGLE and Gaia"
- 22nd Jan: Fab Arrigoni Battaia (ESO) - "HeII and CIV emission around a z~3.3 radio-quiet quasar: discovery of a dual AGN"
- 8th Jan: Hannah Ubler (MPE) - "Ionized and molecular gas kinematics in a z=1.4 star-forming galaxy"
- 11th Dec: Bernhard Roettgers (MPA) - "Mock QSO Absorption lines in the CGM"
- 27th Nov: TC - Chian Chou Chen (ESO) - "A Spatially Resolved Study of Cold Dust, Molecular Gas, H II Regions, and Stars in the z = 2.12 Submillimeter Galaxy ALESS67.1"
- 6th Nov: Masataka Fukugita (MPA) - "Nature of the MgII cloud"
- 16th Oct: Annalisa De Cia (ESO) - "The cosmic evolution of dust-corrected metallicity in the neutral gas"
- 18th Sept: Phil Wiseman (MPE) - "Gas inflow and outflow in an interacting high-redshift galaxy: The remarkable host environment of GRB 080810 at z=3.35"
- 3rd July: Tayyaba Zafar (AAO) - "Evidence of steeper extinction curves at high redshits"
- 12th June: Alice Concas (Excellence Cluster) - "Light Breeze in the Local Universe"
- 22th May: Anita Zanella (ESO) - "The [CII] emission line as a tracer of the gas conditions in high-redshift main-sequence galaxies"
- 8th May: Zhi-Yu Zhang (ESO) - "Far-infrared Herschel SPIRE spectroscopy reveals physical conditions of ionised gas in high-redshift lensed starbursts"
- 3rd Apr: Jens-Kristian Krogager (IAP) - "Emission counterparts of metal-rich DLAs"
- 13th Mar: Helmut Dannerbauer (Instituto de Astrofisica de Canarias) - "The implications of the surprising existence of a large, massive CO disk in a distant protocluster"
- 27th Feb: Thomas Kruehler (MPE) - "The All-weather MUse Supernova Integral field Nearby Galaxies (AMUSING) survey"
- 13th Feb: Matteo Fossati (MPE) - "Resolving the Physics of environmental effects and gas stripping phenomena in local Clusters of galaxies."
- 23rd Jan: Chris Harrison (ESO) - "The KMOS Redshift One Spectroscopic Survey (KROSS): rotational velocities and angular momentum of z~0.9 galaxies"
- 23rd Jan: Annalisa De Cia (ESO) - "The KMOS 3D Survey: design, first results, and the evolution of galaxy kinematics from 0.7<=z<=2.7" by Wisnioski et al.
- 9th Jan: Anne Klitsch (ESO) - "Spatially resolved star formation relation in two HI-rich galaxies with central post-starburst signature"
- 19th Dec: Gergo Popping (ESO) - "Modelling the dust content of galaxies over cosmic time"
- 5th Dec: Rob Yates (MPE) - "The true evolution of the mass-metallicity relation for galaxies using direct metallicity measurements back to z ~ 5"
- 21st Nov: Darshan Kakkad (ESO) - "ALMA CO detections"
- 7th Nov: Filippo Fraternali (Bologna) - "Gas accretion via galactic fountains"
- 17th Oct: Celine Peroux (LAM) - "Nature of Absorbing Gas associated with a Galaxy Group - or MUSE data like you have never seen them before"
- 18th July: Koki Kakiichi (MPA) - "Galaxy-IGM relation at z~2-3 from the COSMOS/UltraVISTA galaxies and SDSSIII Lyman alpha forests"
- 27th June: Philip Wiseman (MPE) - "Dust Depletion And The Dust-to-Metals Ratio In Gamma-Ray Burst Afterglows"
- 13th June: Richard Ellis (ESO) - "Ly-a and CIII] Emission in z = 7 - 9 Galaxies: Accelerated Reionization Around Luminous Star Forming Systems?" (ESO visitor)
- 23rd May: Jakob Walcher (Potsdam) - "The interstellar medium as seen by CALIFA: universal abundance gradients, non-nuclear LINERs and more" (MPE visitor)
- 2nd May: Annalisa De Cia (ESO) - "Relative abundances in damped Lyman-alpha absorbers (and the Galaxy): metallicity, nucleosynthesis, dust depletion"
- 15th April: Lise Christensen (DARK) - "Metals in high-redshift galaxies" (ESO visitor)
- 21st Mar: Fabrizio Arrigoni-Battaia (ESO) - "Shedding Light on the Properties of the Circum/Inter-galactic Gas in Emission"
- 14th Mar: Manolis Papastergis (Cornell) - "Gas matters indeed: baryon fractions of z=0 galaxies and the gas view of galaxy clustering" (ESO visitor)
- 7th Mar: Mohit Tanga (MPE) - "large soft X-ray absorption observed in GRB afterglow spectra"
- 22nd Feb: Efrain Gatuzz (MPA) - "X-ray absorption line studies of the Galactic ISM and CGM"
- 8th Feb: Samuel Quiret (Marseille) - "Sub-DLAs Metallicity Measurements and the Circum-Galactic Medium of Galaxies" (ESO visitor)
- 25th Jan: Sandra Savaglio (Calabria) - "absorbers in Super Luminous Supernovae (SLSNe)" (ESO visitor)
- 11th Jan: Annalisa De Cia (ESO) - "Extended Ly-a haloes around individual high-redshift galaxies revealed by MUSE" by Wisotzki et al. 2016
- 14th Dec: Amy Jones (MPA) - "Diffuse ionized extra-planar gas in spiral galaxies"
- 30th Nov: Florian Hofmann (MPE) - "Thermodynamic Perturbations in Galaxy Clusters"
- 16th Nov: Martin Zwaan (ESO) - "CH+ in SMGs at z=2.5: the first probe of massive turbulent regions"