A here exists only in relation to a there, not the other way around.
There's this only because there's that; if we don't look up, we'll never know what's down.
I have been fortunate to work with a wide range of activities centred on communication of astronomy to the public, with some of the best people in the profession.
Here is my own little Top-10 (or so) list of favourite achievements:
- Authoring the book The Hands-on Guide for Science Communicators, Springer New York, 2006, ISBN 0387263241
- Co-authoring the book Lysfænomener i Naturen, Høst & Søn, 1998, ISBN 8714294621
- Co-authoring the book Europe to the Stars — ESO’s first 50 years of exploring the southern sky
- Managing the conception and implementation of the International Year of Astronomy 2009 (according to UNESCO sources "the most successful [international] year so far")
- Receiving the Tycho Brahe Medal in 2005
- Setting up and implementing the merged ESO Outreach Department for ESO, Hubble, IAU and the ESO Supernova Planetarium & Visitor Centre.
- Leading the set-up ofthe ESO Supernova Planetarium & Visitor Centre and raising the first years of funding (2017, 2018)
- Directing the movie Europe to the Stars
- Directing the movie Eyes on the Skies - 400 Years of Telescopic Discovery
- Directing the movie Hubble - 15 Years of Discovery
- Being Press Officer for International Astronomical Union in a period the IAU became more known than ever before due to the re-classification of dwarf planet Pluto. Read more about the work during this hectic period of the 2006 IAU General Assembly here.
- Co-authoring the book Hubble - 15 Years of Discovery, Springer New York, 2006, ISBN 0387285997 (also in Finnish, German, Portuguese, Chinese and simplified Chinese)
- Co-authoring the book Eyes on the Skies, Wiley 2009, (German, Finnish, Korean, Japanese, Slovenian and Chinese)
- Co-authoring the book Hidden Universe (also in German, Japanese, Chinese, Finnish)
- Co-authoring the book Cosmic Collisions (also in German)
- Managing the Portal to the Universe project
- Leading the lasershow Ambient LaserTrance in the Dome 1994 (co-production with Morten Rasmussen).
- Writing my Master's Thesis: Compund Redshift Catalogues and their Application to Redshift Distortions of the Two-point Correlation Function. At one point in 1996 I had the largest collection of galaxy redshifts in the world...
- Leading the FITS Liberator project
- Initiating the Hubblecast project
- Leading the lasershow Beat the Visions 1993 (co-production with Morten Rasmussen).
- Initiating the Data2Dome project (incl. AstroCalendar)
- Initiating the ESOcast project
- Initiating and managing Tripping on the Final Frontier, event for the 5th anniversary of Tycho Brahe Planetarium
- Initiating the standardisation AVM metadata project, that later became VAMP in a collboration with Robert Hurt and Adrienne Gauthier
- Initiating the ESO and Hubble Hidden Treasures competitions
- Inventing the digital distribution strategies for ESA/Hubble and ESO. This includes being the first scientific organisation to freely distribute broadcast quality UHD videos and planetarium fulldome movies.