ESO Eclipse Activities
The general schedule of the day is as follows:
|08:00||Doors open at La Silla Observatory Main Camp (Camp Pelicano).|
|08:00 – 15:30||Shuttles from the Gate to the Event area.|
|08:30 – 16:00||Activities proposed to the public
Tour of the ESO 3.6-metre telescope (08:30 – 15:30)
Tour of the NTT telescope (08:30 – 14:30)
Activities at the Visitor Center (08:30 – 12:45):
Music band (14:35 – 15:25)
(see details below at Outreach activities)
|15:23||Partial eclipse begins.|
|16:39||Start of totality.|
|16:41||End of totality.|
|17:00 – 22:00||Activities proposed to the public
Solar observation (17:00 – 18:00)
Activities at the Visitor Center (17:00 – 22:00):
|18:00 – 22:00||Shuttles from the Event area to the Gate.|
The viewing locations
The following viewing areas are foreseen:
- Public viewing area for ticket-holders, specially invited pupils and elderly (marked Mirador, yellow)
- Special guests invited by the ESO Director General and Representative, Media, Outreach/Science projects (marked VIP, blue)
You will have the possibility to enjoy different kind of outreach activities before the Total Solar Eclipse.
Please note that a booking system is not feasible due to the unpredictability of the arrival time of the public. All activities will work on a first come for served basis, so please consider waiting time.
Tour of La Silla telescopes
Tour of the NTT telescope
15-minute tour (English or Spanish), max 15 people. Start of the tour at the entrance of the NTT telescope.
8:30 to 14:15 (last tour starts at 14:00) - Check here for the detailed program of tours.
Tour of the 3.6-m telescope
Total 35-minute activity, considering 20-min tour and 15-min round trip to the 3.6-m telescope platform (English or Spanish), max 25 people. Pick-up at the Hop-on Hop-off location.
8:40 to 15:35 (last pick-up 15:00) - Check here for the detailed program of tours.
Activities at the Visitor Center
30-minutes talk will be offered to the public. Check here for the detailed program of talks.
Max capacity of the room: 80 people
Video projecting astronomical images with a special soundtrack using ALMA Sounds
20-minute session (English or Spanish), max. 20 people.
8:50 to 12:50 (last session starts at 12:30) / 17:00 to 21:20 (last session stars at 21:00)
Paintings illustrating topics related to light
20-minute session (English – Spanish), max 20 people.
9:00 to 12:40 (last session starts at 12:20) / 17:10 to 21:30 (last session stars at 21:10)
Historical museum of instrumentation
Exhibition about the history of astronomical detectors, including La Silla instrumentation pieces
Free access (max. capacity 15 people). Exhibition in English and Spanish
8:30 to 12:45 / 17:00 to 22:00
General exhibition about ESO and an exhibition of 70’s - 80’s La Silla historical pieces
8:30 to 10:00 / 17:00 to 22:00
Free access (access restricted during talks). Exhibition in English and Spanish
Observation of the Sun with a solar telescope and diffraction glasses.
8:30 to 14:15 / 15:15 to 16:15 / 17:00 to 18:00
Free access. Spanish-speaking and English-speaking monitors.
Music band “Steve Rothery & friends”
From 14:35 to 15:25, the general public will also enjoy the “Steve Rothery & friends” music band. They will perform hit of Marillion.
On the occasion of the eclipse, we are organising the second #MeetESO tweet-up. Nine lucky social media enthusiasts have been selected to witness the La Silla total solar eclipse, #LaSillaTSE, , and visit all of ESO’s sites in Chile — a treat not many people get to experience!
Join us for the adventure, experience the total eclipse and discover the ESO sites through their eyes by following ESO, the hashtags: #meetESO #LaSillaTSE and the accounts of each participant (see below).
Who are the #Lucky9?
- Eric Benedetti, United States of America. Eric can be found on Instagram and Facebook .
- Paul Davies, United Kingdom. Paul can be found onTwitter,Facebook and Instagram.
- Guillaume Doyen, France. Guillaume can be found onYouTube,Twitter,Facebook, Instagram and on his blog.
- Tara Foster, Ireland/Australia. Tara can be found onTwitter,Facebook, Instagram and on her blog.
- Olivia Haider, Austria. Olivia can be found onTwitter,Facebook and Instagram.
- Felipe Hime Miranda, Brazil. Felipe can be found onYouTube,Instagram and Twitter.
- Ariel Waldman, United States of America. Ariel can be found onYouTube,Twitter,Facebook and Instagram.
- Carol Wright, United Kingdom. Carol can be found onTwitter,Facebook and Instagram.
- Norédine Benazdia, France. Norédine can be found on YouTube and Twitter.