There will only be a limited number of tickets available for purchase on the ESOshop on a first come, first served basis, so be quick! La Silla is a working observatory where astronomers perform observations every night, and therefore we can only welcome a limited number of people.
One ticket per person is necessary. For safety reasons, children under 4 years old are not allowed. Please note that the purchase is limited to the maximum of 10 tickets per person or group.
300 tickets will be available from the ESOshop from 13:00 CEST on Friday 13 July. The tickets cost 200 Euros and include transport from the foot of the La Silla mountain up to the Observatory, eclipse glasses and access to all on-site events and activities. Ticket sales will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
With a La Silla Solar Total Eclipse ticket you will:
- Witness the eclipse from La Silla mountain in the Atacama Desert, one of the driest places in the world (if the weather allows it);
- Have access to visit ESO’s La Silla Observatory;
- Have transportation by bus from the observatory’s main gate (Camp Pelícano) to La Silla mountain top (about 30 minutes) and back;
- Participate in the programme of the day, which will include tours of the observatory and other activities;
- Receive ESO glasses with special solar filters to see the eclipse.
Before purchasing your ticket, please carefully read the “Important Information for Visitors” section.
In the case of the event needing to be canceled, tickets will be refunded.
Tickets will be refunded only in case that the event has to be cancelled because of a force majeure situation, such as strongly adverse meteorological conditions, natural disasters, and any other event which may compromise people’s safety.
In any of these cases, the observatory has the authority to cancel the event and deny the access to visitors at La Silla Main Gate (Camp Pelícano). Please understand that in such cases ESO will not reimburse any accommodation, travel or other expenses.
In any of these cases, updates will be swiftly provided at this website as well as through ESO’s social media. Please, make sure that you regularly check any of these channels during the days prior to the eclipse.
Tickets will not be refunded due to weather conditions which may impair the view of the eclipse, such as clouds (for statistics, see "The Weather" section).