#MeetESO participants announced
Eight “social-medianauts” will be hosted at ESO’s observatories in Chile
2016. március 16.
On 15 February ESO announced its first social media gathering, launching a call to keen social media users from ESON countries interested in visiting its observatory sites in Chile. In all, more than 250 entries were received. After much deliberation, eight entrants were chosen to join the #MeetESO gathering, which is timed to coincide with the 2016 transit of Mercury.
The eight participants selected to join the inaugural #MeetESO social media gathering are:
- Lorna Aguilar, Chile, http://www.twitter.com/lornibaby, http://www.facebook.com/lornibaby
- Loïc Bommersbach, France, https://twitter.com/Leauickque, https://www.facebook.com/leauickque
- Anne Grudzien, Germany, https://twitter.com/cpamoa/, https://www.facebook.com/blogcpamoa
- Jane MacArthur, UK, https://twitter.com/Jane_MacArthur, https://www.facebook.com/jane.macarthur.10
- Ian O'Neill, USA, http://www.twitter.com/astroengine, https://www.facebook.com/astroengine
- Sergio Sancevero, Brazil, http://twitter.com/spacetoday1, http://facebook.com/spacetoday
- Remco Timmermans, The Netherlands, https://twitter.com/timmermansr, https://www.facebook.com/rtimmermans
- Cristian Westphal, Brazil, https://twitter.com/C_e_Astronomia, https://www.facebook.com/cristianreis1995
The selected participants will travel to Chile to visit some of the world’s most exciting astronomical facilities: the Very Large Telescope (VLT) — the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory — and the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA), the largest ground-based astronomical project in existence.
The programme also includes: night-time observations from one of the best spots on Earth; day-time observations of the transit of Mercury; engaging with ESO and ALMA staff; and staying at ESO’s Residencia, the astronomers’ hotel and the building that was “blown up” in the James Bond movie Quantum of Solace.
ESO was overwhelmed by the enthusiasm shown, and would like to thank the many entrants and supporters of the #MeetESO adventure. Your passion for astronomy is an inspiration to the whole community!
Community Coordinator & Strategy Officer
ESO education and Public Outreach Department
Tel: +49 89 320 069 65
Francisco Rodríguez I.
Observatorio Europeo Austral (ESO)
Tel: +56 224633019
About the Announcement