Weekend visits to Paranal Observatory
Information about the observatory is available on the following pages:
Registering for a Guided Tour
Guided tours for tourists and the general public are offered every Saturday.
|Arrival at Paranal||Start of Tour|
- The guided tours are free of charge, but registration is compulsory as there is limited space. Large groups are asked to register as far in advance as possible.
- To register for a visit to Paranal, please submit the Visitor Form. We do not accept bookings by mail or phone.
- Once you have submitted the form, you will receive a notification within 48 working hours.
- During the week before the visit you must confirm your reservation by contacting the email or phone number below. If your confirmation is not received by the day before the visit, you will unfortunately be removed from the list.
- Every visitor to Paranal (or any ESO site) must read and sign the Release Form in English or Spanish. A signed and printed form must be delivered on arrival at the observatory gate. Unfortunately, we cannot accept electronic copies of the form.
- For safety reasons, children under 4 years are not allowed to visit the observatory.
- For safety reasons, minors must be accompanied by an adult. Each adult can be responsible for a maximum of 10 young people.
- Please be aware that the tour could be cancelled in the case of severe weather conditions. In this case, you will be notified via phone call or email within 48 hours before the visit.
- For special inquiries about the visit or information which is not available on our web pages, email email@example.com.
- For emergency calls about the visit or booking, call +56-9 -98395312.
Travel & Meals
Please follow this link for very important information on how to reach ESO Paranal, and security and safety advice.
- Paranal Observatory does not offer transport to tourists.
- ESO does not provide car fuel to visitors. You must have sufficient fuel in your car to be able to drive to your next destination.
- There are no facilities on-site that offer meals. You are welcome to bring your own light snack or lunch.
Arrival at Paranal
- You should arrive at the observatory 15 minutes before the tour start time, in order to register at the gate.
- For safety reasons, you are not able to access the observatory before the tour start time.
- At the security desk, you will be asked for your name(s) and signed Release Form(s).
- The tour begins at the Visitor Centre with the ESO Welcome Video.
- Then you will be taken to the VLT platform and enter the dome of one of the 8.2-metre Unit Telescopes of the Very Large Telescope.
- If conditions permit, you will be shown the control room. This is where the astronomers work, because all telescope control and communication takes place through computers.
- Finally, you will look inside the famous Paranal Residencia.
The order of the steps described above may vary depending on the number of people on the tour.
While on Paranal
- Wear sunglasses, a hat, protective clothing and sunscreen over SPF35.
- Drink plenty of bottled water or juice.
- Move around slowly.
- Do not leave litter.
- Smoking is not allowed.
- Illegal drugs and alcohol use are forbidden.
- The use of drones is not allowed.
- If you feel unwell: inform your guide immediately!
- In an emergency: follow the guide and the Emergency Coordinator’s instructions.
- Follow your guide’s instructions at all times throughout the tour.
- Please find more information here: Health & Safety advice.
- Be curious — ask lots of questions!
- Take zillions of pictures!