MIDAS Frequent Asked Questions

% @(#)midas-faq.doc	1.1 (ESO-IPG) 4/7/95 17:29:48

Please check out this FAQ, especially before posting your question to
the MIDAS hotline midas@eso.org or the mailing list midas-user@eso.org

You can skip to a particular question by searching for `Question n.n'.

 Section 1.  Introduction and General Information
 Q1.1        What is ESO-MIDAS ?
 Q1.2        What is the ESO-MIDAS distribution policy ?
 Q1.3	     How is the source code of ESO-MIDAS structured ?
 Q1.4        Which platforms are supported ? Which hardware is required
             to run ESO-MIDAS ?
 Q1.5        How much hard disk space does ESO-MIDAS need ?
 Q1.6        Which software do I need to install and run ESO-MIDAS ?
 Q1.7        How is the ESO-MIDAS documentation organized ?

 Section 2.  Network sources and resources
 Q2.1        Where can I get ESO-MIDAS material by FTP ?
 Q2.2        How do I install ESO-MIDAS ?
 Q2.3        I don't have FTP access.  How do I get ESO-MIDAS ?
 Q2.4        What other network services are there for ESO-MIDAS ?
 Q2.5        Are the mailing lists archived anywhere ?

 Section 3.  ESO-MIDAS most common installation problems.
 Q3.1        Generic installation problems on UNIX systems.
 Q3.2        Generic installation problems on VMS systems.
 Q3.3        Installation problems on SunOS 5.3 (Solaris).
 Q3.4        Installation problems on OSF/1.
 Q3.5        Installation problems on PC/Linux.
 Q3.6        I do not have Motif, how can I have the MIDAS GUIs ?
 Q3.7        Why does the command line editing in the monitor not work ?
 Q3.8        Why do I get "MIDAS version .. on VAX/VMS" if I am on UNIX?
 Q3.9        Most MIDAS tutorials do not work. The demo data is missing.

 Section 4.  Display and plotting with ESO-MIDAS.
 Section 5.  The internal ESO-MIDAS system and monitor.
 Section 6.  General applications in ESO-MIDAS.

 Section 7.  Data I/O in ESO-MIDAS. Import-Export.
 Q7.1        Why I cannot access my tape device with INTAPE/FITS command?
 Q7.2        Out of Synchronism... when accessing a remote tape driver?

 Section 8.  Standard reduction and calibration packages in ESO-MIDAS.
 Q8.1        How are the calibration and demonstration data distributed?

 Section M.  Miscellaneous
 QM.1        How to perform desktop computations with MIDAS ?
 QM.2        How do I get on-line help ?
 QM.3        How can I overplot a contour on an image?
 QM.4        How can I reinitialize failing graphic and display windows?
 QM.5        Why do the GUIS appear with missing colors?
 QM.6        How can I define my own commands and create windows when
             I start a MIDAS session?
 QM.7	     The cursor rectangle created by, e.g. EXTRACT/CURSOR or
             GET/CURSOR, does not react to arrow keys.

Section 1.  Introduction and General Information

 Q1.1        What is ESO-MIDAS ?
 Q1.2        Which is the ESO-MIDAS distribution policy ?
 Q1.3.       How is the source code of ESO-MIDAS structured ?
 Q1.4        Which platforms are supported ? Which hardware is required
             to run ESO-MIDAS ?
 Q1.5.       How much memory do I need to run ESO-MIDAS ?
 Q1.6.	     Which software do I need to install an ESO-MIDAS ?

Question 1.1.  What is ESO-MIDAS ?

ESO-MIDAS is the acronym for the European Southern Observatory
- Munich Image Data Analysis System which is developed and
maintained by the European Southern Observatory.

The ESO-MIDAS system
provides general tools for image processing and data reductions
with emphasis on astronomical applications including imaging and
special reduction packages for ESO instrumentation at La Silla.

Question 1.2.  Which is the ESO-MIDAS distribution policy ?

The ESO-MIDAS system is available, free of charge, to all non-profit
research institutes, whereas other organisations or companies may be
charged a nominal fee to cover distribution. Institutes interested in
using MIDAS must sign a User Agreement before distribution material
can be shipped. The necessary forms can be obtained by contacting the
Data Analysis Group at ESO/Munich. MIDAS is distributed in source code
copyrighted by ESO with all rights reserved. Institutes receiving the
MIDAS system are not allowed to redistribute it to other sites without
explicit written permission from ESO. The use of the ESO-MIDAS system
for data reduction should be properly acknowledged in papers and
publications. It is recommended to refer to the specific ESO-MIDAS
version used, e.g. 94NOV, in the acknowledgement.

The availability of new releases is announced through electronic
mail. Requests can be submitted either on a special ESO-MIDAS Request
Form or through e-mail quoting the user agreement number. Currently,
MIDAS has one yearly release in November (e.g. the release in 1994 is
will be named 94NOV). The current system at ESO/Munich is frozen
several months prior to the official release. The official release is
based on this version, which is extensively tested both at ESO and at
a number of beta-test sites. Problems detected during these tests are
corrected in the official release version which is then given free for
distribution. The release is is available on a wide range of tape
media and additionally, it can be obtained through a ftp account.
Binary copies of MIDAS (already installed and without sources) for
specific systems are publicly available in the anonymous ftp account
and do not need the signing of an ESO-MIDAS User Agreement. Official
user support and documentation service from ESO for these binary
copies are however not granted without a prior signed User Agreement.

Updates of the manual and other documentation take somewhat longer to
prepare and print and will be sent to all sites which receive a new
ESO-MIDAS release. Updates are normally not sent to individual
users. Copies and updates of documentation can be obtained by writing
to the Science Data Analysis Group at ESO/Munich.

Question 1.3.  How is the source code of ESO-MIDAS structured ?

The initial design of MIDAS was made on a DEC/VMS system in the early
80's. However, in the late 80's with the acceptance of UNIX as a
standard operating system and the introduction of workstations, the
system was largely redesigned and now runs on a wide variety of
computers, with either DEC/VMS or one of the various flavours of UNIX
as the operating system.

The latest official release 94NOVpl0 has been distributed as 30 Mbytes
of source code (11 Mbytes in a tar-compressed file). The number of
source code lines is shown in Table 1 for different types of files,
where "FORTRAN" and "C" correspond to actual program code, while "prg"
refers to high-level MIDAS procedures. Documentation is in for of
MIDAS help files.

Table 1: Size of source code for different file type in units of 1000
lines:

        C            FORTRAN            prg            Help
        413          240                51             50

The size of the source code can also be divided into main MIDAS
classes. As a sample, Table 2 shows some main categories, namely
"core" MIDAS, graphic users interfaces (gui), system applications
(applic), standard reductions (stdred) and general application
packages (contrib):

Table 2 Size of source code in different directories in Mbytes:

        Total   "core"  gui     applic  stdred  contrib
        30.6     14.7   4.6     1.4     3.3     5.7

ESO-MIDAS documentation is not included in this distribution. It is
available however in PostScript and DVI format as the second file in
the distribution tape, or under the subdirectory "./94NOV/doc" in the
FTP account. See also Q ?.?

Question 1.4.  Which platforms are supported ? Which hardware is required
               to run ESO-MIDAS ?

The next table shows in which platforms 94NOVpl0 has been installed
and verified succesfully. The "Size in disk" indicates the size
ESO-MIDAS occupies on disk after a complete installation including all
packages, source and object files.

System		Size in disk  Remarks
SUN SunOS/4.1.3	120 Mbytes    With MIDAS shared libraries.
SUN SunOS/5.3 	 80 Mbytes    With MIDAS shared libraries.
HP HP-UX A.09.01 82 Mbytes    With MIDAS shared libraries.
PC Linux/1.0.8	 25 Mbytes    With MIDAS shared libraries, only binaries
DEC OSF1/V2.0	113 Mbytes    With MIDAS shared libraries.
SG IRIX/4.0.5	197 Mbytes    Without shared libraries.
SG IRIX/5.2	 70 Mbytes    With MIDAS shared libraries.
DEC ULTRIX/4.3	243 Mbytes    Without shared libraries.
IBM/AIX 3.2	 80 Mbytes    With MIDAS shared libraries.
VAX/VMS V5.2	114 Mbytes    Without shared libraries, without GUIs.

The total disk space required for ESO-MIDAS will be less than this figures
if you do not install all optional packages. As a reference, on a HP-UX
you will need 82 Mbytes for a complete installation but only 36 Mbytes for the
installation of only the "core" of MIDAS. In the same machine "applic"
requires 4 Mbytes, "stdred" 10 Mbytes, "contrib" 21 Mbytes and GUIs 10
Mbytes.

You can reduce the disk space required if you clean ESO-MIDAS
directory after installation (Option 9 - Clean MIDAS, in the main
menu). You can remove object files, source files, libraries and
optional packages that you might have installed but you do not need
any more). Again, on a HP-UX system using 82 Mbytes for a complete
installation, you can remove 11 Mbytes of object files, 31 Mbytes if
you remove object and source files and 37 Mbytes if you remove
objects, sources and libraries. Cleaning MIDAS is recomended if you
want to distribute copies of MIDAS to different machines. It is
however highly recomended to keep a master copy with all files (or at
least a backup) for the purpose of installing upgrades and patches.

In addition to the disk space required for the installation of
ESO-MIDAS, you will need optionally some more disk space for
documentation (5 Mbytes in compressed-tar PostScript files), demo
files (10 Mbytes in compressed-tar files, 24 Mbytes after the
installation) and calibration files (1 Mbytes in a compressed-tar
file,

Still you will need some more disk space for user data. 50, 100, 200
Mbytes per user of ESO-MIDAS?. This depends in the average number of
images per session and in the size of the images, e.g. 20 images of
1000x1000 pixels occupies 4 Mbytes on disk (4 bytes each pixel) will
need 100 Mbytes for the initial data and most likely another 100
Mbytes for the reduced data.

Question 1.5.  How much memory do I need to run ESO-MIDAS ?

This question is also difficult to answer with preciseness. It depends
in many different factors like which system, which MIDAS application
and which images.

In SunOS 4.1.3 the MIDAS monitor uses 1.1 Mbytes of memory, 2.6 Mbytes
if you open a display window and 2.7 Mbytes for a graphic window. Some
applications allocates 1 or 2 times the size of the image, that means
4 Mbytes or 8 Mbytes for an image of 1000x1000 pixels. Resuming... it
is recomended a minimun of 16 Mbytes of memory per user of MIDAS and
in any case as much as necessary to avoid the system to start swapping
(paging in and out blocks of memory to disk).

Question 1.6.  Which software do I need to install and ESO-MIDAS ?

First, you need a C compiler. Both ANSI C and the Traditional C from
Kernie&Ritchie can be used for the installation of ESO-MIDAS. If your
system does not provide you with a C compiler, or this is licensed and
you do not want to pay the license fee, get a copy of the GNU
public-domain C compiler "gcc" which is also available for almost all
platforms.

Second, you need a F77 Fortran compiler. Here again and without a
licensed Fortran compiler you can use the Fortran_to_C conversor,
which converts ESO-MIDAS Fortran code into C, which then can be
compiled with the C compiler. The Fortran_to_C conversor is again
public domain software from AT&T Bell Laboratories and is called
"f2c". A script called "fc" or "f77", which uses "f2c", reproduces the
same behaviour of the Sun Fortran compiler "f77". This option is used
with the installation of ESO-MIDAS on PC/Linux where the GNU ANSI C
compiler and the Fortran_to_C conversor "f2c" are normally included
with the Linux distribution.  NOTE: Eventually there will be a GNU
public domain Fortran compiler, called "g77".

Third you need X11 software. ESO-MIDAS can be installed with both X11
release 4, or X11 release 5, but not yet with X11 release 6. X11 is
included with the system in all platforms, but is also public domain
software that you can installed yourself if you do not like the one
provided by your system.

Optionally you need Motif. Both Motif release 1.1 and release 1.2 are
supported by ESO-MIDAS. Without Motif software, you still can install
most of ESO-MIDAS packages, but not the Graphical User Interfaces GUIs
that require the Motif widget-library.  Motif, unfortunatelly, is not
a public domain software. Many systems do include Motif by default in
their distribution like HP/HP-UX, OSF/1 or Solaris 5.4. For other
systems you will have to buy a Motif license (e.g. 250 DM for
PC/Linux). It is however our policy to distribute the GUIs already
compiled and linked with the static Motif library for those systems
that do not get Motif in their system distribution, like SunOS 4.1.3
or PC/Linux, so you do not have to buy any Motif license. See also
question Q?.?

The NAG library, the mathematical library from Numerical Algorithms
Group, is used for particular options of some MIDAS commands. If you
have a license for the NAG library tell the MIDAS installation script
where the library is located, otherwise a dummy NAG library will be
created by the installation script to complete the installation
without errors, but the options using the NAG routines will return an
error.  See question Q?.? for more details about which MIDAS
commands/options need the NAG library.

Question 1.7.  How is organized the ESO-MIDAS documentation ?

The main source of information about MIDAS is the MIDAS Users Guide,
Volumes A, B and C (ESO-SDAG, 1993) ( MIDAS User Guide ) . The MIDAS
system has been described in various papers. General overviews can be
found in Banse et al. (1983) and in Grosbol and Ponz (1990). MIDAS as
a development environment is discussed in the document ``MIDAS
Environment'' (ESO-IPG, 1993) and by Banse et al. (1991). The
performance of MIDAS on different platform is described by Grosbol et
al., 1988. The implementation of the table file system is described by
Grosbol and Ponz, 1985. For a more complete reference list, see