Open House Day 2006
On Sunday, 15 October 2006, the ESO Headquarters in Garching near Munich will open its doors for the public from 10:00 - 17:00 hours.
This year's Open House Day is organised on the occasion of the opening of the U-Bahn line U6 to the research institutes in Garching. The Open House Day is organised together with the other research institutes in the area.
As usual, (mostly) German-speaking staff members will provide information about ESO and the ongoing work at this organisation.
Special attention will be given to the public presentation of the exciting, recent research results from ESO's various telescopes, in particular the VLT .
The following activities are presently planned:
- ESO is presenting itself in a video movie
- Short talks (15 minute time schedule)
- Information about employment opportunities at ESO
- Exhibition and Video Conference with the Paranal Observatory
- Presentation of the ESO/ECF Science Archive
- Demonstration of the Astrophysical Virtual Observatory
- Image processing and quality control of VLT data
- ESA/ESO Space Telescope European Coordinating Facility (ST/ECF) , the European coordination center for the Hubble Space Telescope
- Presentation of astronomical instruments
- Information about radioastronomy
- Demonstration Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Demonstration Adaptive Optics
- Observing possibilities with amateur telescopes
- Demonstration of infrared detectors. Visitors can take away their own pictures
- Light-sensitive CCD (Charge Coupled Device) demonstration
- Exhibitions of the Volkssternwarte München and the Observatory of Königsleiten
- An exhibition with astronomical paintings
- A planetarium show for children
- Kids' Corners: Games and Fun for children
- Souvenir shop with posters, T-shirts, etc
- Coffee and soft drinks in the ESO cafeteria