Re: can't open image display in X Windows

HOLMGREN@BrandonU.CA wrote:

>  Dear MIDAS users,
>
>  I am using the MIDAS 96NOV pl 2.0 release (binary installed from a tar file)
> on RedHat Linux 5.1 with X Windows (and the AfterStep desktop).  I can create
> a graphical display using create/gra, but I cannot open an image display
> using create/disp.  When I try the latter, I get the following series of
> error messages:
>
>  OSX: Writing error in 'round_trip', error = 0
>  no. of LUTs has been changed to 1073766752
>
>  OSX: Writing error in 'round_trip', error = 0
>  OSX: Writing error in 'round_trip', error = 0
>  IDI_SINI: We could not connect to IDIserver (error = 111)
>  name used was: /home/david/midowrk/midas_xw00
>  OSX: Writing error in 'round_trip', error = -1
>
>  Does anyone know what is causing this, and how to fix it?

Yes it's happen also to me ... with a Linux 6.0 RedHat and
the MIDAS release 98Nov.
This is totally normal if you use startx with the default option bpp 16 ... I don't know
exactly but MIDAS doesn't manage it ... or it is the XFree86 which cause problem (this
should be fixed soon).

The solution ... I run MIDAS since 3 months without problems (a part the color gestion) is to
run your X session with the command:

        startx -- -bpp 8 (or 32 but I doesn't works on my Laptop even with 8Mb for the graphical card).

Enjoy again MIDAS like me, and good luck,g

        Pierre LEISY