jump to navigation
jump to content
ESO User Portal Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the difference between Phase 2 access delegation and data access delegation?
is important to note that there is no implied connection between these sorts of delegation! That is, a Phase 2 delegate does not have any special access
to data from a run, and data delegates cannot use their own User Portal account to make observation preparations for a run. It is thus very important when
making a delegation to be aware of which type of delegation is being granted.
- Through Phase 2 delegation the PI of an observing run allows a single user to make observing preparations using their
own User Portal account credentials rather than those of the PI herself/himself, using the tools P2PP (version 3+) and vOT (the latter being
for Paranal Visitor Mode only).
- By means of data delegation the PI grants access to the proprietary data from a run to one or more users.
- I have made a delegation, but my colleague does not see the run in P2PP. What is wrong?
- There are (at least) two possible explanations for this.
- The delegate needs to tick on File > Download/Refresh Obs. runs in P2PP.
- The form of delegation that was granted is incorrect. That is, data access delegation was granted rather than Phase 2 delegation. This can of
course be fixed by simply delegating to the colleague Phase 2 access rights (note here that since there can only be one such delegate if one already exists you
will be asked if you wish to replace the current one).
- I have made a delegation, but my colleague cannot download my proprietary data. What is wrong?
- There is a simple explanation for this. Namely, the form of delegation that was granted is incorrect. That is, Phase 2 access delegation was
granted rather than data access delegation. This can of course be fixed by simply delegating to your colleague data access rights.
- I'm not able to set up a Phase 2 delegation for my La Silla run. Why is this so?
Phase 2 delegation is tied directly to version 3.X of P2PP. Since this version of P2PP is not in use for La Silla it is unfortunately not possible for a PI to delegate Phase 2 access for such runs.
- The page tells me that the email address I've entered in the delegation email address field is invalid, but I
know it's correct. What is going on?
The e-mail address that you supply must match the one that your delegate is using
in their ESO User Portal Profile. If in doubt, consult your colleague for the correct
- Can I delegate proprietary data access rights to more than one person?
Yes. There is no limit to the number of people to whom you can grant access to
your proprietary data.
- Can I delegate Phase 2 rights to more than one person?
No. Any given run can only have one person as Phase 2 delegate.
- Can I delegate Phase 3 access rights to more than one person?
Yes. There is no limit to the number of people to whom you can grant Phase 3 access rights.
- When I delegate some right (Phase 2, proprietary data access, Phase 3) do I give up my own rights?
No, you always retain your own rights.
- I have been designated as a delegate. As a delegate can I make a further delegation?
Sorry, but "sub-delegations" are not possible.
- When does the delegation (or revocation) take effect?
Immediately upon clicking the corresponding delegate, delegate all, revoke, or revoke all button.
User Portal FAQ Quick Links