README File description
The README file contains an overview of the run, aspects specific to it, and an instrument-dependent checklist. It is meant for the observer on the mountain as supplementary observation with respect to the OBs and scheduling containers. The README file interface is accessible from the p2 interface via the Readme button. The README file has the following sections:
- A non-editable section giving basic information on the run as scheduled: the program ID and type (normal, large, guaranteed time, or director's discretionary time), instrument, PI name, priority class, and approved execution time.
- A list of sections accessible through tabs where specific aspects of the run can be described:
- General Description: a short and concise summary of the observation, providing the night astronomer with any information needed to meet your science objective (e.g. SNR). Decision paths and/or OB modification requests that depend on the outcome of previously executed OBs are not allowed.
- Waiver Requests: a short summary of any approved Phase 2 waiver requests, including when they were submitted and when they were approved.
- Critical Observing Conditions Constraints: any information about required observing conditions other than those defined in the Constraints Set box that are critical for the achievement of the goals of the project.
- Time-Critical Aspects: any information on timing of the observations including a brief reference to parameters of time-link OB containers, if used, or absolute time intervals, if defined in the OBs.
- Special Execution Requirements: any specific information regarding the execution of your observation such as on proper target identification or details on the execution procedure.
- Special Calibration Information: if you have submitted OBs for calibration, please describe them here, why you have submitted them, and how they should be executed relative to your science OBs (e.g. same night, once per observing run, etc.), unless included in an OB concatenation. In particular, for some instruments, you must provide the magnitude and spectral type for all user supplied photometric or spectrophotometric calibration stars.
- ToO Information: please indicate here if this is a Target of Opportunity run and give any special details.
- ToO Activators List: please give here the names and e-mail addresses of the investigators who are authorized to trigger a Target of Opportunity observation.
- Pre-Imaging Requirements: if this is a pre-imaging run, please indicate it here and describe any special requirements; for instance the need to obtain on- and off- observations in narrow-band filters contiguously.
- An entry for the e-mail address of the Principal Investigator of the programme. This information is taken from the User Portal.
- Estimated Total Execution Time: please include here the execution time as given by the execution time report in p2.
- Is this a Pre-imaging run? this is a tick box that must be checked if the run is pre-imaging for another run. This is important to ensure that pre-imaging runs receive the correct execution priority.
- In case pre-imaging was required to prepare these OBs, you must indicate the source of pre-imaging in the corresponding box. If the source is none of those listed there, you can indicate the actual source in the entry below it.
The last part of the README file is a check list including most of the relevant aspects related to Phase 2 preparation with the corresponding instrument. You must click either yes or N/A (in case the question is Not Applicable) to confirm that you have taken all these aspects into account.
Additional Contents for the CRIRES README file
In addition to the general README policies, the following points should be clearly mentioned in the README file:
- The list of OBs that do not require observations of a telluric standard star,
- Alternatively, any requirements regarding standard stars that deviate from the usual association of one telluric OB with one science OB.