Up: Title Page
Address: rue de Remanan 17, CH-1030 Bussigny, Switzerland
Born on December 14, 1949, in Basel, Switzerland
Dual nationality Swiss and Italian
Experience in inter- and pluridisciplinary engineering
covering in particular the fields of structures, thermal analysis,
environmental impact problems, engineering computer applications,
measurements and tests.
Main directions of project work:
- Management and coordination of pluridisciplinary projects.
- Interaction of structures and equipment items
with their atmospheric, thermal, dynamic, seismic environment.
- Mathematical modeling of processes and physical phenomena.
- Technical and scientific computer applications.
Degree ( Laurea) in Aeronautical Engineering,
Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 1973
English, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish.
- Engineering consultant (1993- )
- Senior Project Engineer at ESO, European Southern Observatory,
Munich, Germany (1984-1993):
in charge of all study and design work for the civil engineering
and the telescope enclosures for the
Very Large Telescope project (see below).
In depth experience in the interdisciplinary system design of
astronomical observatories and related functional, structural,
thermal, wind and seeing problems.
- Senior Scientist, Atlas Copco Research Center, Switzerland (1981-84).
Mathematical models in impact phenomena, tunnelling operation and
rock mechanics. Research in the technology of composite materials.
- Group Leader, Space Systems, PILATUS Aircraft Ltd, Switzerland (1974-1981).
Spacecraft engineering, aircraft performance estimation, structural and
thermal analysis, full scale tests and measurements.
- ESO Very Large Telescope (VLT), made of four 8-meter astronomical
telescopes combining their light beams, to be installed in Chile
(under development, expected completion around 1999).
- Design and construction of a 15-meter inflatable and
- ARIANE space launcher: shroud thermal design and various
full scale tests: separation tests in the vacuum chamber, static load
tests, modal survey and acoustic tests.
- Mathematical modelisation of various rock mechanics and
- Image processing for automatic on-line inspection.
- Hybrid carbon fibre-amorphous metal composites.
- Aircraft loads computer program.
Author of more then 20 technical/scientific articles and conference papers,
mainly relating to the design of telescope systems and buildings, wind and
thermal turbulence, seeing effects, measurements and tests.
Up: Title Page
Lorenzo Zago, email@example.com,
Sun Feb 26 22:57:31 GMT+0100 1995