WFI - Wide Field Image
The Wide Field Imager (WFI) is a focal reducer-type camera which is permanently mounted at the Cassegrain focus of the 2.2-m MPG/ESO telescope at La Silla. With field of view of 34'x33', Nyquist sampled by 0.238'' pixels exceeding any other ESO instrument by a factor of 2. It offers excellent sensitivity from 350 nm to the near IR, with more than 40 filters simultaneously available, many of them specifically selected to support the determination of photometric redshifts of distant objects.
Publications based on WFI data should cite: Baade, D.; Meisenheimer, K.; Iwert, O.; et al. 1999, The Messenger 95, 15 .
- All questions related to observations and proposal preparation should be addressed to MPIA
- Please send us your comments, suggestions and report errors and inaccurate statements in the web pages and manuals.
Content of these pages
The following items are available on all the WFI pages, using the bar on the left.
- Overview: a short description of the instrument
- News: list of changes affecting the instrument and/or its pages.
- Instrument Description: all the important parameters of the instrument.
- Manuals: links to all the documents related to WFI.
- Tools: a collection of useful tools and informations for preparing and analyzing the WFI observations.
- Instrument Operations Team
- Visitor Instructions: Instrument specific instructions for Visiting Astronomers