Observer's Quick Reference Guide
- The data frames are automatically transferred to astro@wg5off on /data/raw/2000-12-31 (night dir.).
These files are just copies. Feel free to rename, modify, destroy them, as long as you stay in the night directory.
This will NOT affect the CDs you receive.
If you process data and want to take them with you, you have to save them yourself (cf Data Saving section).
Data Reduction Packages
- Type inmidas 00 to enter
- MIDAS can work directly on the FITS files. However, note that for arithmetic operations,
you have to put the filename between "quotes" (to avoind that the - in the name be interpretted as
- NTT specific commands:
- load/last : loads the last frame arrived
- kload <image> : loads the image with nice cuts (inspired from the good old IHAP command)
- seeing : measures the seeing of current image
- qextra : quick spectrum extraction and sky subtraction; follow the instructions
- @@ inemmi ONTT...fits : reads in an EMMI-red frame and assemble the subimages into one frame.
- @@ sofi_flat <file> : in file, list the file names of the 4 frames corresponding to a SofI flat field template; it will produce the resulting flatfield.
- @@ sofi_specialflat <file> : in file, list the file names of the 8frames corresponding to a SofI "special" flat field template; it will produce the resulting flatfield.
- Start xImTool in the right-hand screen with NTT Menu> Astro > IRAF > ds9
- Start IRAF with NTT menu > Astro > IRAF > IRAF in xgterm
start by typing IDL
- astrolibs are available
- It is installed; just type the command
- NTT Specific:
- sofiJitter <file> : will execute the jitter command on the frames listed in file.
- type skycat or Mouse > AstroApplications > Skycat
- We provide you with a copy on CD of all data taken during the night.
- We do NOT save whatever is on wg5off: if you want to save processed data, you can use the DAT drive attached to the machine.
- To check which tape length to use:
take the corresponding tape in the bookshelf
- TAR: to save all your files into a unique tar file:
tar cv 2000-12-31
(the tape default is set-up properly
tar cv *fits
- dd: to save directly individual files on tape.
We provide a series of tool to use this complex command:
- disk2tape : will write the files with standard blocksize of 28800
- disk2tape ONTT*fits
disk2tape -list listfile
where listfile contains the list of the files to be saved
To read easilly this tape, get the following scripts.
usage: tape2disk drive number_of_file rename
drive: name of the drive containing the tape (e.g. /dev/rmt/0mn )
number_of_file: how many file to read. To read the whole tape: 99999
rename: to restore the original filename (y/n); this option requires RestoreID
usage: RestoreId file.fits
will rename file.fits to the original ONTT... filename.
- on astro@wg5off
- The log files are located in /data/raw/dataLogs
- Do NOT edit them, do NOT delete them. You may copy the files your are interested in to your
directory, but don't touch the original.
- These logs are plain ASCII files; feel free to email your logs to yourself:
mail email@example.com < flLog.2000-12-31.wemmi_ttyp2
To create custom log files:
fitslist ONTT*fits or
fitslist ONTT*fits > myLog