This page contains links to in depth documentation and reports for the WFI. You only need to dig through here if you can't find what you are after on the WFI web pages, and even then, you are probably better off emailing ls-wfi with your question since some of this information is out of date.
- The WFI Handbook (Version 2.0, 4th May 2005, PDF 5.5Mb )
- WFI User Manual Version 1.0.5, June 27, 2000,
- Practical Guide for WFI observers (outdated but still somewhat useful).
Please note some information contained in the manual and the practical guide is now outdated. The most up-to-date information is on these web pages. It is forseen that these documents will be updated in the near future.
Visitor Mode Observations
All relevant documents can be found on the Visitor Instructions page.
Service Mode Observations
- La Silla Instructions
- WFI Standard Calibration Plan for Service Mode Observations
- Tips and Tricks for Service Mode Observations
Information on other Manuals and Documentation
- July 2003:Information on Badpixel Masks for WFI and other optical imagers at La Silla.
- April 2001: Information on the WFI Grisms. Note: The WFI grisms are not offered after the end of Period 71.
- June 2000: study on WFI Dome Flat Quality. Done as a by-product of a decontamination monitoring programme. Note: We found that the dome flats are NOT reproducible on all occasions. This report is a BIG file; be patient!
- June 1999: A Memorandum on the original broadband filters for the WFI.
- Information on the Next Generation Archive System Technologies