Visiting Astronomer not available
Guidelines in case a Visiting Astronomer is not available
|Date/issue/author/revision||2001-06-28, v1.0, Olivier Hainaut, creation for NTT
2002-04-02, v2.0, OHainaut, update for SciOps.
2002-04-02, v2.1, JBreysacher, reviewed.
In case a Visiting Astronomer who got some time allocate on the NTT, 3.6m or 2.2m in Visitor Mode, the PI has to coordinate with VisAS the travel arrangements to Chile of the selected observer(s).
- In case no observer can be found, the run is automatically canceled
- In case if, at the last minute, the selected observer cannot travel to Chile (e.g. illness, dramatic family event, etc), and the travel of another observer cannot be organized on short notice, the possibilities are the following:
- The run is re-scheduled at a later date by VisAS.
- The run is moved to "Delegated Observing" service mode. This is not always possible; in particular, it depends on support staff availability and on the complexity of the program. SciOp reserves itself the right not to accept to perform the observations in service mode. If we agree to do so, the PI of the program will have to prepare a full "Phase II" for the observations. The requirements for Phase II are described in another document, but in summary, it includes:
- preparation of all the Observation Blocks (OBs) for science and calibrations.
- preparation of a complete set of finding charts according the VLT standards
- preparation of a detailed README file describing observations and the strategy.
- An arrangement with another observer is coordinated with VisAS. It must be noted that private negociation between the PI and an observer not involved in the project is not acceptable.