The Call for Proposals for observations at ESO telescopes in Period 111 (1 April 2023 - 30 September 2023) has been released. Please consult the Period 111 document for the main news items and policies related to applying for time on ESO telescopes. All technical information about the offered instruments and facilities is contained on ESO webpages that are linked from the Call. The proposal submission deadline is 12:00 CEST 27 September 2022.
Call for Proposals for Period 111
Published: 25 Aug 2022
Some of the important changes for Period 111 are summarised here:
- In Period 111, two new instruments are being offered: ERIS Paranal/UT4 and NIRPS La Silla/3.6-m telescope. We note that both instruments are currently still undergoing commissioning.
- Since Period 110, ESO has been employing Distributed Peer Review (DPR) for proposals requesting a total time (including overheads) of less than 16 hours. Exceptions to this general rule are proposals including at least one ToO run, and DDT proposals. All other proposals submitted for the regular cycle will be reviewed by the OPC and the panels. In this paradigm, PIs of proposals qualifying for DPR accept to review ten proposals submitted by their peers. Correspondingly, they accept that their proposals are reviewed by ten peers who have also submitted proposals in Period 111. Users should thus familiarize themselves with the DPR rules and guidelines.
- Since Period 110, a new set of scientific keywords has replaced the OPC categories. Users must select at least two keywords and at most five keywords (ten for Large Programmes). The keywords must be selected in decreasing order of relevance (i.e., the first selected keyword is the most relevant). Users should also keep their scientific expertise keywords in their user profiles up to date.
- Applicants are reminded that the Dual-Anonymous Peer Review has been fully deployed since Period 108. Applicants must prepare their proposals following the anonymisation rules and examples described in this link.
- As previously announced, APEX, OMEGACAM/VST, and VIRCAM/VISTA are no longer offered in P111.