NGAS Disks Exchange Procedure
This page contains instructions on how to exchange NGAS magnetic disks, this is when a set is full and a new one has to be installed.
One of the operations which an NGAS Operator has to carry out quite frequently is to shut down a NGAS Host or to Reboot it. This is done when disks are inserted and removed from the host. This is also an easy way to restart the server SW running on the host.
Once a set is full:
- Do not perform any tasks without informing Data Handling, Anton or Blanca.
- Do not change a NGAS disk before the night is over (12UTC).
- Select on the Dakota Scout kvm Switch the unit to be shutdown first (A) w2p2nau.
- ShutDown the Selected unit w2p2nau by pressing the keys CTRL-ALT-DEL simultaneously.
- Select on the Dakota Scout kvm Switch the unit to be shutdown second (B) w2p2nbu.
- ShutDown the Selected unit w2p2nbu by pressing the keys CTRL-ALT-DEL simultaneously.
- Use the key (usually above the w2p2nau) to unlock the disks to be removed from w2p2nau.
- Remove the full set from the unit w2p2nau.
- Remove the oldest disk on the w2p2nbu, check for smallest number.
- Insert on the empty slot the Replica removed from the w2p2nau. BE CAREFULL, if not done properly you may break some plug pins.
- Use the key to lock the Disk.
- Insert the new set of disks on the w2p2nau.
- Use the key to lock the new Disks
- Switch on the w2p2nau by Using the power button, black button at lower right below slots 8 - 7.
- Switch on the w2p2nbu by Using the power button, black button at lower right below slots 8 - 7.
Now go back to NGAS Disk Handling Instructions Page and continue with last steps on section Once a set of Disks is full.