On January 20th and 21st, due to some planned IT maintenance activities, some of the ESO services (P2PP, p2, Archive access, etc.) could suffer from temporary disruptions. We apologize in advance for the inconvenience.
OB Naming Conventions
So as to facilitate the observers' job, some OB naming conventions are required. Regardless of the instrument, the following generic prefixes must be used when naming OBs:
- PRE_ - pre-imaging OB (e.g. PRE_Field A)
- TOO_ - Target of Opportunity OB (e.g. TOO_GRB-1); see also note below
- RRM_ - Rapid Response Mode OB (e.g. RRM_grb346+580_3x600s)
- MOV_ - Moving Target (i.e. solar system) OB (e.g. MOV_TNO-43A)
- CAL_ - Calibration star (e.g. photometric, telluric, radial velocity, polarization, etc) (e.g. CAL_TNO-43A)
Note: All observations belonging to a ToO run must start with the TOO_ prefix, including those belonging to the other categories mentioned above: for instance, an OB intended to observe a star for calibration of a ToO science observation should have a name starting with TOO_CAL_.
Note: Pre-imaging OBs for moving targets should have a name starting with the prefix MOV_PRE_.
For OB time sequences, please name your OBs in such a way that the sequence is obvious. Examples:
Field A - Night1
Field A - Night2
Field A - Night3
Field B - Baseline
Field B - Baseline + 1 week
Field B - Baseline + 2 weeks
Please use always a unique name for each of your OBs, even if they are identical to each other. For example, a series of 3 identical OBs on NGC 5128 may be called NGC5128-1, NGC5128-2, NGC5128-3, instead of calling all three OBs NGC5128.
Please use always names which do not contain 'No Name'.
Note: allowed characters in the OB name: letters, digits, space, + - _ .
Additional naming rules for NACO
- For PSF reference stars the OB name must be prefixed with the string:
- PSF_ for normal observations
- PRE_PSF_ for pre-imaging observations
- TOO_PSF_ for Target of Opportunity (ToO) observations.
- For observations that require tracking the target (as nearly as possible) symmetrically with respect to the meridian (e.g. ADI observations) users are asked to include as a suffix to the OB name the string _MERIDIAN. Please see the NACO Service Mode Rules page for additional details regarding OBs that should track through the meridian.