Because of planned IT maintenance activities, ESO services may be only intermittently available on 19-20 January 2019. This includes the tools used for the preparation of observations at ESO telescopes. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- New: As of P103, ESO has implemented a Finding Chart Generation service into p2, called p2fc, which allows the automated non-interactive creation of finding charts for individual or multiple OBs at the push of a button for almost all of the P103 VLT instruments that require finding charts. A detailed description and instructions for usage are available in the dedicated p2fc Finding Charts page.
- Preparation of the Service Mode observations for all Paranal instruments must be made with the new web-based tool p2.
- For the preparation of Visitor Mode observations for all Paranal instruments, p2 must also be used. For more information please follow Visitor Mode Phase 2 Guidelines.
- Observation preparation for La Silla telescopes must be done using version 2.13.4 of P2PP. Earlier versions are not usable anymore.
- Since Period 96, for most VLT instruments, the former 'Seeing' constraint is now called 'Image Quality' inside the Observation Blocks. As before, you are expected to enter the requested image quality at the observed wavelength and airmass. This must be consistent with the V-band seeing at zenith you requested in your Phase 1 proposal. Conversions between seeing and image quality can be performed with the Exposure Time Calculator for the concerned instruments. The OB validation script of p2 naturally takes this change into account.
Please have a look at the latest news and events of the La Silla Paranal Observatory. This page covers some important telescope and instruments news from the various ESO sites.