Sky Quality: Cloudiness, Extinction, Contrails
User Requirements for an operational real time monitor (spontaneous contributions):
- Scientific Requirements
to a VLT Observing Conditions Monitor, H. Pedersen, Oct. 20, 1998. A small informal team was
gathered at ESO and produced the First Ideas for Implementations
of an All Sky Imager at Paranal (H. Pedersen, C. Cavadore, A. Wicenec, M. Sarazin).
- Sky Monitoring from the Ground or
- Contrails and Astronomy, many links from the home page of H. Pedersen.
- A movie has been prepared by H. Pedersen which
demonstrates how clearly the clouds appear in the night sky using 1mn CCD exposures in
the visible at La Silla Observatory.
- A Report on A search for Possible
Correlations between Photometric and Atmospheric Parameters, based on
observations collected with the Swiss Telescope at La Silla and with the GOES8
Satellite; G. Meylan, VLT Report 17443-1679, 12/01/99.
- 1km resolution multispectral AVHRR NOAA-16 satellite images of Europe. An example
of trails apparently due to air traffic.
- Air Traffic above
- Report and Recommendations of IAU Commission 50 (Identification and Protection
of Existing and Potential Observing Sites) on Interferences from aircrafts
- Anthropogenic effects on Observing Conditions. I: Aviation,
Report (ps file) by H. Pedersen , May 7, 1997.
- Report on Airplane Sightings, May-October, 1997
(ps file) by H. Pedersen, Dec. 2, 1997.
- CTIO records of contrails.
Contact interested people close to you, contact the whole group
- 7kx4k all-sky camera of Sonneberg
and Day Automated All Sky Imager
of the Marine Physical Laboratory (San Diego). See also the related
site of the U.S. Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Program
- Antartica Dome C ICECAM
- The IR cloud monitor at Apache Point Observatory.
plans of monitoring cirrus clouds.
International Conference on Light Pollution, La Serena, Chile, Tuesday 5th to Thursday 7th March 2002,
- Boston University
Imaging Science Team All-Sky Camera.
Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment.
- Automated Optical Aircraft
Spotter at the MMT site.
Satellite Detection of contrails over Europe from NOAA-12 satellite high
- Vortex Experiment LIDAR
profiling of aircraft plumes.
- All Sky Imager
by the Finnish Meteorological Institute.
- Example of aircraft trail temporal evolution (NASA Langley
- Picture of a contrail in
daytime above the 3.6m telescope at La Silla (400kB gif)
Karlsruhe Cloud Atlas