La Silla Paranal Users Workshop
La Silla Paranal Users Workshop - Part III:
Optimising Phase 2 observation preparation
ESO Garching, July 20th and 28th, 2021 - Online event
ESO's ground based observatories located in Chile serve a very diverse astronomical community. The La Silla Paranal observatory (LPO) offers observations with a variety of telescopes, instruments and observing modes, including both Visitor Mode and Service Mode observations. Furthermore, the observatory provides support to its users, follows closely the quality of all observations and status of its instruments, archives the data, and for many instruments delivers science grade pipelines and reduced data products. This level of support relies on a complex machinery that although efficient may be daunting for our user community. In a spirit of transparency and availability, ESO is hereby reaching towards its users to present the various tools and services available, and at the same time, provide help in improving the technical side of their proposals and in reducing the data obtained with instruments in La Silla and Paranal.
Thus, ESO is organising the La Silla Paranal Users Workshop, a series of online events, the third of which will consist of:
- On July 20th, a single 2 - 3 hr session will provide an overview of the Phase 2 process, and of the main tools needed to prepare your observing material. At this stage, the users who have been awarded time in P108 will be ready to start the preparation of their Phase 2 material.
- On July 28th, two hands-on sessions will be offered to showcase how to prepare the Phase 2 material with the p2 tool.
- Until August 6th there will be the possibility for users who have been awarded time in P108 and have specific questions regarding the preparation of their Phase 2 material to have a 1-to-1 session with experts of the Phase 2 process for a specific instrument.
If you are a La Silla Paranal Observatory user and are interested in the most up-to-date information and learning how to prepare Phase 2 material using the associated Phase 2 tools (p2 OB preparation and submission tool, ObsPrep, p2fc, and p2API), this third instalment of the workshop is for you!
Further aspects on the use of archive data and the data reduction pipelines have been presented in the first part of the workshop series, the LPO Users Workshop Part I, while learning how to write competitive observing proposals and to use associated Phase 1 tools, e.g. the Exposure Time Calculator and the new p1 proposal submission tool was dealt with in the LPO Users Workshop Part II.
- Phase 2 policies and strategies
- How to use the new phase2 submission tool (p2) and the associated tools (ObsPrep, p2fc, p2API)
- Get help on your P108 phase2 preparation
Registration is encouraged, but not mandatory. We will publish the link to the event on this page the day before the event.