jump to navigation
jump to content
Foreseen changes regarding Paranal instrumentation and facilities
UT instruments and facilities
- The ThAr lamp may be replaced by a UNe lamp in the course of P92.
Subject to approval of a major upgrade project, the instrument
may be taken out of operations for one year starting in the
second semester of 2014.
will probably undergo an intervention lasting 3 months in Period 93 or 94, during
which the instrument will not be available for operations. The aim of the intervention
is to fix the ADC systems.
VIMOS: A call for public spectroscopic surveys may be issued for
VIMOS in the near future,if the instrument upgrade is successful and
the observation backlog has been resolved.
the Pupil Tracking mode may be offered in P93.
- It is expected
that the 2nd generation instruments
will undergo commissioning in P93.
Activities related to the installation of
Optics Facility on UT4 (Yepun)
- GRAAL, the adaptive optics module for HAWK-I, is expected to be installed on Nasmyth A early in Period 93.
- The installation of the
4 Laser Guide Stars Facility (4LGSF) is expected to take place late in Period 93.
- GALACSI, the adaptive optics module for MUSE, is expected to be installed on Nasmyth
B early in Period 94.
- The installation of the Deformable
Secondary Mirror and re-commissioning of the telescope is
expected to take place late in Period 94; as a consequence, UT4 will
not be available during 2 months.
VLTI instruments and facilites
will likely be decommissioned during P93.
- It is expected that the VLTI Visitor Instrument focus will not be available starting with P93.
Visiting the Observatory