The Science Users Portal contains scientific and technical information for professional astronomers.
Science Users Information
These pages are aimed at the ESO community astronomers; they contain all the information required in order to prepare, execute, process and exploit observations with the ESO facilities. They also contain information on the scientific activities taking place at ESO.
The side menu will take you directly to the relevant pages:
- Observing Facilities links to La Silla Paranal Observatory and to the technical pages for the instruments and telescopes available at the two sites. Also you will find information on instrument development.
- Observing Information points to information needed at every stage of preparing a proposal for observing time - from the proposal preparation to submission - and for planning the observations in Visitor or Service Mode. In addition, you will find here information on observing policies and procedures and on observing time allocation.
- Via ESO Scientific Software and Tools you have access to a collection of ESO-supported software products for data reduction and analysis and to Scisoft, a project within ESO to provide a collection of astronomical software utilities. You will also find various useful tools and services for Phase 1 and Phase 2 preparation, like archives and catalogues, ETCs, weather information, and more.
- Data Handling and Products gives information on post-observing services provided by ESO. This includes quality control and data processing, information on data pipelines and instrument calibration.
- Science Archive Facility provides information and access to the ESO/ST-ECF Science Archive Facility and the European Virtual Observatory.
- Science Activities provides information about research done at ESO, including science verification programmes of ESO instruments.
- 26 Apr 2013 — VLT Instrumentation: Call for Science Verification Proposals with KMOS.
- 17 Apr 2013 — The ESO Science Newsletter (17 April 2013) is now available
- 01 Mar 2013 — The ESO Science Newsletter (1 March 2013) is now available
ESO Studentship Programme 2013
An opportunity to conduct part of your PhD thesis at ESO
Application deadline: 15 June 2013
Find out more
The ESO Science Newsletter
The May 2013 issue is now available.
The ESO Science Newsletter replaces the ESO Electronic Newsletter (Enews) from 2013. Subscription is controlled through the Manage Profile link on the User Portal. Back issues of the Science Newsletter (2013 - ) and the Electronic Newsletter (2006-2012) are archived.