MIDI (MID-infrared Interferometric instrument)
MIDI is the mid-infrared (N-band = 8 to 13 μm) instrument of the VLT interferometer. It combines two beams (either from the 8.2-m Unit Telescopes or from the 1.8-m Auxiliary Telescopes) to provide visibility moduli in the (u,v) plane. MIDI features spectroscopic optics to provide visibilities at different wavelengths within the N-band.
- Questions related to service mode observations and proposal preparation should be addressed to the User Support Department.
- Questions related to visitor mode observations should be addressed to Paranal Science Operations
- Please send us your comments, suggestions and report errors and inaccurate statements in the web pages and manuals.
Content of these pages
The following items are available on all the MIDI pages, using the bar on the left.
- Overview: a short description of the instrument
- News: list of changes affecting the instrument and/or its pages.
- Instrument Description: all the important parameters of the instrument.
- Manuals: links to all the documents related to MIDI.
- Tools: a collection of useful tools and informations for preparing and analyzing the MIDI observations.
- Instrument Operations Team
- Links: miscellaneous links about interferometry and MIDI.
- Visitor Instructions: Instrument specific instructions for Visiting Astronomers
Other Users Information
Important information for Paranal users can be found in the menu items: Site Information and Logistics, Astroclimatology, Information for Visiting Astronomers. Further useful Observing Information can be found via in the main Science Users menu, including Tools and Services.