VISIR - VLT Imager and Spectrometer for mid Infrared
The VLT spectrometer and imager for the mid--infrared (VISIR) wasbuilt by CEA/DAPNIA/SAP and NFRA/ASTRON, and is located at theCassegrain focus of UT3. It provides diffraction-limited imaging athigh sensitivity in the two mid infrared (MIR) atmospheric windows:the N band between 8 to 13μm and the Q band between 16.5 and 24.5μm, respectively. In addition, it features a long-slitspectrometer with a range of spectral resolutions between 150 and 30000.
Publications based on data obtained with the VISIR instrument should quote the following reference paper: Lagage, P.O. et al. 2004, The Messenger 117, 12.
- Questions related to service mode observations and proposal preparation should be addressed to the User Support Department.
- Questions related to visitor mode observations should be addressed to Paranal Science Operations
- Please send us your comments, suggestions and report errors and inaccurate statements in the web pages and manuals.
Content of these pages
The following items are available on all the VISIR pages, using the bar on the left.
- Overview: a short description of the instrument
- News: list of changes affecting the instrument and/or its pages.
- Instrument Description: all the important parameters of the instrument.
- Manuals: links to all the documents related to VISIR.
- Tools: a collection of useful tools and informations for preparing and analyzing the VISIR observations.
- Instrument Operations Team
- Visitor Instructions: Instrument specific instructions for Visiting Astronomers
- Science: Image gallery and astronomical highlights