KMOS is in operation with 23 arms. Arm 3 is set to simulation
- 2017-06-12 In the period May 14-30 a dirt pattern appeared on the focal plane of detector #1. Most probably, it is a flake of paint that detached from the interior of the instrument and fell onto the detector focal plane. The position of the dirt pattern affects a small area and wavelength range in the IFUs #7 and #8, in particular the top left quadrant of IFU #7 and the top right quadrant of #8.
- 2017-01-25 No intervention is foreseen to fix/replace Arm #3 in the next period, therefore KMOS will be operative with 23 arms instead of 24 during P100. Arm #4 is used to observe telluric standards for spectrograph 1.
- 2017-01-09 Arm 3 is still in simulation and will remain in this state as soon as the instrument can be warmed up and the arm fixed/replaced. Even though the astrometry is indeed re-calibrated, Arm 3 is still showing vignetting on sky with such vignetting being dependent on the arm and rotator position. As before, the arm to take the telluric standard for spectrograph1 is #4.
- 2016-09-05 Arm 3 is experiecing again issues: bad precision in prositioning as before plus vignetting. These issues are under investigation and Arm 3 is set to simulation and the arm to take the telluric standard for spectrograph1 is now #4.
- Since 2016-07-18, arm 3 is showing some problems. It had been set to simulation for a short period (25th July to 4th August) but is now working again, albeit with a higher uncertainty on the positioning (about 3 pixels). For that reason, the arm to take the telluric standard for spectrograph1, was changed from #3 to #4.
- 2015-12-11 Starting from P97, we have included the new keyword NCYCLES in the KMOS_spec_obs_freedither template that can be used to repeat the defined dither cycle including sky observations NCYCLES times. This allows i.e. to stay on a target and take NCYCLES observations, making the design of transit observations easier.
- 2015-12-10 Starting from P97, darks with DITs corresponding to science obersvations, will no longer be taken by default. The 60s darks, that are used by the pipeline for the bad pixel correction will still be taken on a daily basis. This new procedure allows to remove the constraints on the usable DITs making the design of OBs more flexible and time-efficient.
- 2015-06-11 A facebook group has been created to exchange ideas, methods, software on KMOS data reduction and analysis. We try to add the discussion items of this group to the ESO forum on a regular basis.
- 2015-03-04: After an intervention to upgrade all arms, KMOS was handed back to Science Operation for recommissioning and testing.
- 2015-01-22 Arm 2 was put in simulation
- 2014-12-02 Arm 19 was put into simulation
- 2014-11-21 Arm 8 was put into simulation.
- 2014-11-18 Arm 4 was put into simulation.
- 2014-10-06: Arm 5,6,7,and 16 have been replaced, Electronics of Arm4 were changed. All arms except 11 are back in operation.
- 2014-08-24: Arm 7 in simulation.
- 2014-08-07: Arm 15 has been recoverd and is back in operation.
- 2014-08-06: Arm 5 was put in simulation.
- 2014-05-31: Arm 15 was put in simulation.
- 2014-05-20: Arms 4 and 11 are temporarily out of operations.
- 2014-04-01: Arm 11 is back in operation.
- 2014-02-21: KMOS was successfully recommissioned after an intervention to lower the vibration and to repair the arms that were locked during the last months. Arm 11 is still not available, all other arms work well within the specifications.
- 2014-01-07: arm11 parked and locked
- 2013-12-23: arm10 parked and locked
- 2013-10-15: arm2 parked and locked
- since 2013-10-01: KMOS officially in operation for P92.
- 2013-09-21 -- 2013-09-29: Science Verification II
- arm 16 repaired and working fine
- arm 13 still parked
- arm 2 starting to make problems
- 2013-06-24 -- 2013-06-30: Science Verification I
- arm 16 was found broken and was blocking part of the field of view.
- arm 13 was parked due to technical problems
- 2013-03-11 -- 2013-03-31: Commissioning III
- 2013-01-17 -- 2013-01-30: Commissioning II
- 2012-11-21 -- 2012-12-04: Commissioning I
- 2012-11-21: First light!
See also eso1251 - Organisation Release
- 2012-11-21: First light!