ESPRESSO News and Press Releases
In this page, we list the main changes affecting the instrument and this website as well as ESO press releases.
- 2018 Sep 01: the ESO Call for Proposals for Period 103 offers the possibility to use ESPRESSO in 4-UT mode to target faint sources at a resolving power of 70'000 (Medium Resolution) with two binning options (MR42 and MR84). This mode is offered in groups of consecutive nights in visitor mode only. As during Period 102, the instrument configurations (HR11, HR21 and UHR11) of the ESPRESSO 1-UT mode are offered in both service and visitor modes.
- 2018 Mar 01: the instrument is offered to the community for the first time through ESO Call for Proposals for Period 102. In Period 102, ESPRESSO is offered for regular operations in 1-UT mode only, in both of its two High-Resolution (HR) modes and in Ultra-High Resolution (UHR) mode. The ESPRESSO 4-UT mode may be offered in Period 103, depending on successful commissioning during Period 101. The Laser Frequency Comb (LFC) is operational at this time but not yet fully tested. LFC frames will anyway be taken by the Observatory as additional calibrations to benefit from the full precision of ESPRESSO once pipeline recipes are optimized.
- 2018 Feb 03: First Light in 4-UT mode (see press release)
- 2017 Nov 27: First Light in 1-UT mode (see press release)
- 2017 Nov 22: Commissioning of the Coudé Train of UT3
- 2017 Aug 22: Preliminary Acceptance Europe
- 2017 Jun 09: Commissioning of the Coudé Train of UT4
- 2017 Feb 15: Commissioning of the Coudé Train of UT2
- 2017 Feb 11: Commissioning of the Coudé Train of UT1
- 2015 Feb 05: delta FDR
- 2013 May 14: Final Design Review (FDR)
- 2011 Nov 29: Preliminary Design Review
- 2011 Jan 17: Technical Kick-Off meeting
- 2010 Apr 13: Phase-A Study Review meeting
- 2018 Feb 13: ESO's VLT Working as 16-metre Telescope for First Time
- 2017 Dec 06: First Light for ESPRESSO - the Next Generation Planet Hunter