Past Conferences and Workshops in Europe
This document lists past events organized by ESO. Upcoming events are listed in a document on Conferences and Workshops in Europe, Chile and elsewhere in Latin America.
Meetings in 2013
- Real Time Control Workshop,
ESO, Garching, 4-5 December 2012.
- Reflex2012 - Data reduction workshop for the Reflex environment
ESO, Garching, 24 October 2012
- Science from the Next Generation Imaging and Spectroscopic Surveys,
ESO, Garching, 15-18 October 2012.
- MPA/ESO/MPE/Excellence-Cluster Joint Astronomy Conference on
Supernovae Illuminating the Universe: from Individuals to Populations,
Garching, 10-14 September 2012.
- ESO@50 - the first 50 years of ESO,
ESO, Garching, 3-7 September 2012.
- 30 years of Italian participation to ESO,
Rome, Italy, 2-3 July 2012.
- ALMA Community Days: Early Science in Cycle 1,
ESO, Garching, Germany, 25-27 June 2012.
- 7th Conference on Astronomical Data Analysis (co-sponsored by ESO),
Cargèse, Corsica, 14-18 May 2012.
- Star and Planet Formation Workshop: ESO, Garching, Germany, 14 May 2012
- ADASS XXI,
Paris, 6-10 November 2011
- Ten years of VLTI: from first fringes to core science,
ESO, Garching, 24-27 October 2011.
- ESO/MPE/MPA/ExcellenceCluster/USM Joint Astronomy Conference on "Formation and Early Evolution of Very Low Mass Stars and Brown Dwarfs",
Garching, Germany, 11-14 October 2011.
- Feeding the Giants: ELTs in the era of surveys,
Ischia (Napoli), Italy, 29 August - 2 September 2011.
- ESO Workshop on "Fornax, Virgo, Coma, et al.: Stellar systems in nearby high density environments",
Garching, Germany, 27 June - 1 July 2011.
- Garching Fellow Days 2011,
Garching, Germany, 4-5 April 2011.
- ALMA Community Days 2011: "Towards Early Science",
Garching, Germany, 6-7 April 2011.
- ALMA Early Science, Massive Star Formation workshop
Garching, Germany, 8 April 2011.
- ESO Workshop on "The impact of Herschel surveys on ALMA Early Science",
Garching, Germany, 16-19 November 2010.
- "Science with the Hubble Space Telescope - III: Two Decades and Coming",
Venice, Italy, 11-14 October 2010.
- MPA/ESO/MPE/USM Joint Astronomy Conference on Galaxy clusters: observations, physics and cosmology,
Garching, Germany, 26-30 July 2010.
- ESO Workshop on Central Massive Objects: The Stellar Nuclei - Black Hole Connection,
Garching, Germany, 22-25 June 2010.
- The NEON Observing School,
Calar Alto Observatory, Spain, 16-28 June, 2010.
- VLTI Training School,
Centre IGESA, Porquerolles Island, Côte d'Azur, France, 17-28 April, 2010.
- ESA/ESO Workshop on JWST and the ELTs: an ideal combination,
Garching, Germany, 13-16 April 2010.
- ESO Workshop on "The Origin and Fate of the Sun: Evolution of Solar-mass Stars Observed with High Angular Resolution",
Garching, Germany, 2-5 March, 2010.
- International Virtual Observatory Alliance (IVOA) Interoperability Meeting,
Garching, Germany, 9-13 November, 2009
- From Circumstellar Disks to Planetary Systems, ESO-MPE-MPA-USM 2009 Joint Workshop,
Garching, Germany, 3-6 November, 2009
- Workshop Jointly organized by the Center for Astrophysics, University of Porto (CAUP) and ESO on
Towards Other Earths: perspectives and limitations in the ELT era,
Porto, Portugal, 19-23 October, 2009.
- ESO Workshop on Detectors for Astronomy,
Garching, Germany, 12-16 October, 2009.
- IR and sub-mm spectroscopy: a new tool for studying stellar evolution,
Special Session 1, IAU General Assembly,
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 3-6 August, 2009.
- ESO Fellow Symposium,
ESO, Garching, Germany, 8-10 June, 2009
- ESO Workshop on MAD and Beyond: Science with Multi-Conjugate Adaptive Optics Instruments,
ESO, Garching, Germany, 8-10 June, 2009
- Imaging at the E-ELT - a one day workshop,
ESO, Garching, Germany, 29 May, 2009.
- ESO-FP7 workshop on the E-ELT Design Reference Mission and Science Plan,
ESO, Garching, Germany, 26-28 May, 2009.
- EURO-VO AIDA School 2009,
ESO, Garching, Germany, 30 March - 2 April, 2009.
- ESO Workshop on ALMA and ELTs: A Deeper, Finer View of the Universe,
ESO, Garching, Germany, 24-27 March, 2009.
- ESO Spectroscopic Survey Workshop,
ESO Garching, Germany, 9-10 March, 2009
- Using the VLT Interferometer at present time and in the near future,
Granada, Spain, 5-7 November 2008.
- ESO Workshop on Large Programmes,
ESO, Garching, Germany, 13-15 October 2008.
- Future Ground based Solar System Research: Synergies with Space Probes and Space Telescopes,
Portoferraio, Isola d'Elba, Italy, 8-12 September 2008.
- JENAM 2008 Symposium: Science with the E-ELT,
Vienna, Austria, 8-10 September 2008.
- The Third NEON Archive Observing School,
ESO, Garching, Germany, 27 August to 6 September 2008.
- The MPA/ESO/MPE/USM 2008 Joint Astronomy Conference, Chemical Evolution of Dwarf Galaxies and Stellar Clusters,
Garching, Germany, 21-25 July 2008.
- The Seventh NEON Observing School,
La Palma, Spain, 23 June to 5 July 2008.
- Euro-VO DCA Workshop 2008: on how to publish data in the VO,
ESO Garching, Germany, 23-27 June 2008.
- Gas and Stars in Galaxies: a Multi-Wavelength 3D Perspective,
ESO Garching, Germany, 10-13 June 2008.
- The NEON 3D Spectra School - The First Practical Workshop on IFU Observations and Data Reduction,
Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam, Germany, 19-24 May 2008 .
- Workshop Science from UKIDSS,
ESO Garching, Germany, 17-19 December 2007.
- 2007 ESO Fellowship Symposium
ESO Vitacura, Chile, November 2007.
- Science with the VLT in the ELT era,
ESO Garching, Germany, 8-12 October 2007.
- The MPA/ESO/MPE/USM 2007 Joint Astronomy Conference on Gas Accretion and Star Formation in Galaxies,
Garching, Germany, 10-14 September 2007.
- The 6th NEON Observing School,
Osservatorio di Asiago, Italia, 4-18 September 2007
- ALMA Community Meeting and Workshop on Surveys for ALMA,
Garching, Germany, 3-6 September 2007.
- VLTI Summer School: Active Galactic Nuclei at the highest angular resolution: theory and observations,
Torun, Poland, 27 August - 7 September 2007.
- 12 Questions on Star and Massive Star Cluster Formation,
ESO Garching, Germany, 3-6 July 2007.
- Obscured AGN Across Cosmic Time
Seeon, Bavaria, Germany, 5-7 June 2007.
- VLTI Summer School: Circumstellar disks and planets at very high angular resolution,
Ofir, Portugal, 28 May - 8 June 2007.
- Observing Planetary Systems,
ESO Santiago, Chile, 5-8 March 2007.
- The 2007 ESO Instrument Calibration Workshop,
ESO Garching, Germany, 23-26 January 2007.
- Astronet Symposium: A Science Vision for European Astronomy in the Next 20 Years,
Poitiers, France, 23-25 January, 2007.
- Third Chilean Advanced School of Astrophysics (co-sponsored by ESO),
Insights into the Galaxy Evolution from Resolved Stellar Populations,
Universidad de Concepción, Chile, 8-12 January 2007.
- Fourth Advanced Chilean School of Astrophysics (co-sponsored by ESO),
Interferometry in the Epoch of ALMA and VLT-I,
P. Universidad Católica de Chile, Santiago, Chile, 4-8 December 2006.
- Towards the European ELT,
Marseille, France, 27 November - 1 December 2006.
- Joint ESO-Lisbon-Aveiro University Conference on Precision Spectroscopy in Astrophysics,
Aveiro, Portugal, 11-15 September 2006.
- Deep Impact as a World Observatory Event - Synergies in Space, Time, and Wavelength,
Brussels, Belgium, 7-10 August 2006.
A provisional web site is available here.
- Heating vs. Cooling in Galaxies and Clusters of Galaxies,
MPA/ESO/MPE/USM Joint Astronomy Conference, Garching, Germany, 6-11 August 2006.
- The NEON Observing Schools in 2006:
The Fifth NEON Observing School, OHP, France, July 23 - August 6, 2006;
The Second NEON Archive Observing School, ESO, Germany, August 30 - September 9, 2006.
- LISA V (Library and Information Services in Astronomy V),
Cambridge, Mass., USA, 16-21 June 2006.
- EuroSummer School, Observation and data reduction with the Very Large Telescope Interferometer,
Chateau de Goutelas, F-42130 Marcoux, France, 4-16 June 2006.
- Complex Molecules in Space: Present status and prospects with ALMA,
Fugls�centret, Denmark, 8-11 May 2006.
- Joint ESO-FONDAP Workshop on Globular Clusters,
Concepción, Chile, 6-10 March 2006.
- Latin American Astronomy Summer School,
Santiago, Chile, 8-10 December 2005.
- Groups of galaxies in the nearby Universe,
ESO Workshop, Chile, 5-9 December 2005.
- Carbon-Rich Ultra Metal-Poor Stars in the Galactic Halo,
ESO/MPA Workshop, Schloss Ringberg (Tegernsee), 28 November - 2 December 2005.
- Relativistic Astrophysics and Cosmology - Einstein's Legacy,
International Astrophysics Conference, Munich, Germany, 7-11 November 2005.
- Science Perspectives for 3D Spectroscopy,
ESO/Euro3D Workshop, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, 10-14 October 2005.
- IRAM SUMMER SCHOOL 2005 mm Observing Techniques and Applications,
Pradollano, Sierra Nevada, Spain, September 30 - October 7.
- Open Questions in Cosmology: the First Billion Years,
MPA/ESO/MPE/USM Joint Astronomy Conference, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, 22-26 August 2005.
- The Fourth NEON Observing School ,
Calar Alto Observatory, Spain, 7-20 August 2005.
- Multiple Stars across the H-R Diagram,
ESO Workshop, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, 12-15 July 2005.
- Relativity, Matter and Cosmology,
ESO/ESA/CERN Conference, Berne, Switzerland, 11-15 July 2005.
Part of the European Physical Society 13th Tri-annual meeting Beyond Einstein - Physics for the 21st Century.
- JENAM 2005: Distant Worlds, Liège, Belgium, 4-7 July 2005.
- Workshop on VO Standards and Systems for Data Centres and Large Projects,
Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, 27 June - 1 July 2005.
- Communicating Astronomy to the Public II (CCAP II),
ESO/ESA/PPARC Conference, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, 14-17 June 2005.
- The Power of Optical/IR Interferometry: Recent Scientific Results and 2nd Generation VLTI Instrumentation,
ESO Workshop, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, 4-8 April 2005.
- The Cool Universe: Observing Cosmic Dawn,
2004 IAOC International Workshop, Valparaiso, Chile, 4-8 October 2004.
- ALMA Community Day,
ESO Workshop, Auditorium, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, 24 September 2004.
- Chemical Abundances and Mixing in Stars in the Milky Way Galaxy and its Satellites,
Workshop jointly organized by ESO and the Arcetri Observatory,
Castiglione della Pescaia, 13-17 September 2004.
- The NEON Archive Observing School,
ESO Summer School, Garching bei München, Germany, 14-24 July, 2004
- Growing Black Holes: Accretion in a Cosmological Context,
MPA/MPE/ESO/USM Conference, Garching bei München, Germany, 21-25 June, 2004.
- Planetary Nebulae beyond the Milky Way,
ESO Workshop, Garching bei München, Germany, 19-21 May 2004.
- The DEEP Impact Space Mission:
Coordination of ground-based observations of Comet P9/Tempel 1,
ESO Micro-Workshop, Garching bei München, Germany, 14-15 February 2004.
- Resolved Physics of Active Galactic Nuclei at all Scales,
An International Workshop jointly organized by ESO/Chile, FONDAP-Chile and Universidad de Chile, December 3-6, 2003.
High Resolution Infrared Spectroscopy,
ESO Workshop, Garching bei München, Germany, 18-21 November 2003.
- Multiwavelength Mapping of Galaxy Formation and Evolution,
ESO Workshop, Venice, Italy, 13-16 October 2003.
- Stellar Populations 2003,
Workshop held at Max-Planck-Institut für Astrophysik, Garching bei München, Germany, 6-10 October 2003.
- Science with Adaptive Optics,
ESO Workshop, Garching bei München, Germany, 16-19 September 2003.
- ESA-ESO Meeting on a Coordinated Approach to Astronomy, Cosmology and Fundamental Physics, Garching bei München, Germany, 15-16 September 2003.
- Resolved Stellar Populations,
ESO/Vitacura Workshop, June 26-27, 2003.
- Large Programmes and Public Surveys,
ESO Workshop, Garching, Germany, 19-21 May 2003.
- Stellar Candles for the Extragalactic Distance Scale, Universidad de Concepción, Chile, December 9-11, 2002 (co-sponsored by ESO).
- Science Operations with ALMA, ALMA Workshop, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, 8 November, 2002.
- Structure Evolution and Cosmology, an ESO/CNES/CEA-DAPNIA-SAp Workshop, Santiago, Chile, October 28-31, 2002.
- Extragalactic Globular Cluster Systems, ESO Workshop, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, August 27-30, 2002.
- The Very Large Telescope Interferometer: Challenges for the Future, JENAM Workshop co-sponsored by ESO, Porto, Portugal, September 5-7, 2002.
- From Twilight to Highlight: The Physics of Supernovae, ESO/MPA/MPE Workshop, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, July 29-31, 2002.
- Toward an International Virtual Observatory - Scientific Motivation, Roadmap for Development and Current Status, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, June 10-14, 2002.
- Galactic Star Formation Across the Stellar Mass Spectrum, La Serena, Chile, March 10-15, 2002.
- ESO-CERN-ESA Symposium on Astronomy, Cosmology and Fundamental Physics, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, March 4-7, 2002.
- EuroWinter School - Observing with the Very Large Telescope Interferometer, Centre de Physique des Houches, France, February 4-8, 2002.
Meetings in 2001
- ESO/USM Workshop: The Mass of Galaxies at Low and High Redshift, Venice (Italy), October 24-26, 2001.
- Five Days of Creation: Astronomy with Large Telescopes from Ground and Space - Joint EAS/AG European and National Astronomical Meeting, M�nchen, Germany, September 10-14, 2001.
- Lighthouses of the Universe: Most Luminous Celestial Objects and their use for Cosmology, MPA/ESO/MPE/USM Conference, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, August 6-9, 2001
- FLAMES Users Workshop, ESO Headquarters, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, July 9-10, 2001.
- ESO Workshop: Scientific Drivers for ESO Future VLT/VLTI Instrumentation, ESO Headquarters, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, June 11-15, 2001.
- Conference: Adaptive Optics for Extremely Large Telescopes, Venice, Italy, 7-10 May, 2001.
- ESO Workshop: The Origins of Stars and Planets - The VLT View, ESO Headquarters, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, April 24-27, 2001
- International Inter-Institutional Workshop: http://www.eso.org/sci/meetings/magfields2001.html" title="invalid link: /sci/meetings/magfields2001.html">Magnetic Fields Across the Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram, Santiago, Chile, January 15-19, 2001
- IAU Technical Workshop - Astronomical Site Evaluation in the Visible and Radio Range, Marrakesh, Morocco, November 13-17, 2000
- Joint CNR/ESO Meeting on Gamma-Ray Bursts in the Afterglow Era, C.N.R. Headquarters, P.le A. Moro, Rome, Italy, October 17-20, 2000
- ESO/ECF/STScI Workshop on Deep Fields, Physics Department, Technical University, Garching bei M�nchen, Germany, October 9-12, 2000
- Mining the Sky, MPA/ESO/MPE Joint Astronomy Conference, Garching bei M�nchen, July 31 - August 4, 2000.
- Astronomical Telescopes and Instrumentation, International Congress Center Munich, Germany, March 27-31, 2000.
- Stars, Gas and Dust in Galaxies, a joint ESO/CTIO/LCO International Workshop, La Serena, Chile, March 15-18, 2000.
- 4th ESO Workshop on Optical Detectors for Astronomy, Garching, Germany, September 13-16, 1999.
- Black Holes in Binaries and Galactic Nuclei Workshop, Garching, Germany, September 6-8, 1999.
- The First Stars: MPA/ESO Workshop, Garching, Germany, August 4-6, 1999.
- Workshop on Extremely Large Telescopes, Bäckaskog Castle, Sweden, June 1-2, 1999.
- VLT Opening Symposium, Antofagasta, Chile, March 1-4, 1999.
Meetings in 1998
- ESO Workshop on Minor Bodies in the Outer Solar System, ESO Garching, Germany, November 2-5, 1998
- ESO Conference on Chemical Evolution from Zero to High Redshift, ESO Garching, Germany, October 14-16, 1998.
- Joint ESO/OSA Topical Meeting on Astronomy with Adaptive Optics, ESO Garching, Germany, September 7-11, 1998. Electronic Proceedings available as of 17 November, 1998.
- MPA/ESO Cosmology Conference: Evolution of Large-Scale Structure: From Recombination to Garching, Garching, August 2-7, 1998
- 6th ESO/OHP Summer School in Astrophysical Observations, Observatoire de Haute-Provence, 15-25 July 1998
- 0Joint ESO/Australia Workshop Looking Deep in the Southern Sky, Sydney, Australia, 10-12 December, 1997
- ESO Workshop on Cyclical Variability in Stellar Winds, ESO Garching, October 14-17, 1997.
- Astronomical Data Analysis Software and Systems '97, Sonthofen, Bavaria, September 14-17, 1997.
- ESO Workshop on Laser Technology for Laser Guide Star Adaptive Optics Astronomy, ESO Garching, June 23-26, 1997.
- ESO Internal Workshop on Forecasting Astronomical Observing Conditions, ESO Garching, May 29-39, 1997.
- ESO workshop on: Galaxy Scaling Relations: Origins, Evolution and Applications, ESO Garching, November 18-20, 1996.
- ESO workshop on: Optical detectors for Astronomy , ESO, Garching, October 8-10, 1996.
- ESO/IAC Workshop on Quasar Hosts, Tenerife, 23-27 September 1996.
- 5th ESO/OHP Summer School, Observatoire de Haute Provence, 15-26 July 1996.
- ESO Workshop on Science with the VLT Interferometer, 18-21 June 1996.
- VLT: The Italian Contribution now and in the Future - a meeting taking place at ESO on 5 June, 1996
- Optical Telescopes of Today and Tomorrow, 29 May-2 June 1996. Landskrona/Hven, Sweden. Organised by Lund Observatory, ESO and SPIE.
- The Early Universe with the VLT, ESO Garching, April 1-4, 1996.
- The Galactic Center, Fourth ESO-CTIO Workshop, La Serena, March 10-15, 1996.
- ESO-IRAM-NFRA-Onsala Workshop on Science with Large Millimetre Arrays, ESO Garching, December 11-13, 1995.
- Science with Hubble Space Telescope II, UNESCO, Paris, December 4-8, 1995. Co-organised by STScI and ST-ECF. Second announcement, August 1995.
- The Man who Colours Stars, talk by David Malin, Planetarium, Forum der Technik, Deutsches Museum, Munich, Thursday 2 November 1995, 19:30.
- The Role of Dust in Star Formation ESO Garching, September 11-14, 1995.
- Spiral Galaxies in the Near-IR, Second Announcement and Call for Abstracts, ESO/MPA Workshop, Garching, June 7-9, 1995. Preliminary Schedule.
- LISA-II, Library and Information Services in Astronomy II ESO Garching, May 10-12, 1995.
- Calibrating and Understanding HST and ESO Instruments ESO Garching, April 26-28, 1995.