The Guidecam Software for VISIR
What is GUIDECAM?
Guidecam is a Skycat-based tool that allows to select a guide star from catalogues overlaid on the focus field of view, the VISIR field of view and of the telescope guide probe. For VISIR, the use of Guidecam is optional. The explicit selection of a guide star is recommended when having several imaging OBs for a given faint source. See the service mode rules for VISIR for more details.
As of Period 75, Guidecam is only supported for Linux RedHat 9.
Note about this release
Guidecam is shipped with the additional "Finding Chart" plug-in.
To install Guidecam, you will need to retrieve the tarball for your operating system, unpack it, and start the Guidecam executable.
Please follow these steps:
- Move to the directory where you want to install Guidecam.
- Download the following tarball to the chosen directory:
- guidecamVisirLINUXRH9.tar.gz [GUIDECAM for VISIR - Linux Redhat 9 version - 6.5 Mbytes compressed]
- Unpack the tarball
gunzip -c guidecam[Version].tar.gz | tar xvf -This creates a directory structure that starts with:
- Move to the guidecam directory
- Initialize the environment variables according to your shell
- Start-up the software
If the Guidecam main panel appears, you have successfully installed Guidecam. You can delete the compressed TAR file.
This page is specific to VISIR