News about Science Data Product ForumWe would like to draw your attention about the existence of the Science Data Products internet forum which can be found at: http://www.eso.org/sci/data-processing/forum.html
Instrument specific News
- Sept 2013: Execution time for MR and HR reduced to 20m.
- Sept 2013: New, 'long', calibration sequence of cal-sci-cal-sci-cal (restriction apply see manual).
- Sept 2012: Finito data and keywords now described in the manual.
- Sept 2012: Amber self coherencing is now used by default in service and visitor mode if FINITO is not requested.
- July 2010: Amber data processing software version 3 is now available from JMMC and this link.
- July 2010: there is now a special link to search the ESO database for AMBER Data using specific keywords.
- November 2009: An optic in the VLTI train was upgrade to supress the spurious fringes present in HR-K data in AMBER. This change has been a success and the spurious fringes have disapeared below the detectable level in normal conditions.
- August 2009: new calibration products added. Darks are taken in the morning using a cold shutter inside the instrument.Up to know darks were taken with a shutter outside the instrument. Until P85, users will receive both products.
- March 2009, for P84: Medium Resolution H is now offered. AMBER User Manual has been updated with a table of typical performances.
- August 6, 2008: AMBER/FINITO/UTs Science Verification call for proposal. Deadline Sept. 7, observation to be carried on the 12th, 13th and 14th of October. (Limiting magnitudes have been updated)
- March 1, 2008: First version of the AMBER User Manual available for P82.
- March 1, 2008: FINITO now offered on the UTs.
AMBER in the news
For the latest highlighted science results, please consult the ESO Press Releases page.
- ESO Press Release #1106 (24 February 2011) Planet Formation in Action?
- ESO Announcement #11002 (26 January 2011) Motions in the disc around a supergiant star revealed
- ESO Press Release #1029 (14 July 2010) Unravelling the Mystery of Massive Star Birth
- ESO Press Release 27/07 (29 July 2009) Sharpest views of Betelgeuse reveal how supergiant stars lose mass.
- ESO Press Release 06/09 (18 July 2009) Hundred metre virtual telescope captures unique detailed colour image.
- ESO Press Release 22/08 (24 July 2008) Watching a 'New Star' Make the Universe Dusty.
- ESO Press Release 03/08 (29 January 2008) The Growing-up of a Star.
- ESO Press Release 43/07 (27 September 2007) Into the Chrysalis.
- ESO Press Release 25/07 (31 May 2007) Chronicle of a Death Foretold.
- ESO Press Release 06/07 (23 February 2007) The Sky Through Three Giant Eyes.
- ESO Press Release 35/06 (20 September 2006) To Be or Not to Be: Is It All About Spinning?.
- ESO Press Release 29/05 (24 November 2005) Sharp Vision Reveals Intimacy of Stars.
- ESO Press Release 07/04 (5 April 2004) Adding New Colours to Interferometry - AMBER joins the VLT Interferometer.
Instrument specific News / before 2008
- March 1, 2007: First version of the AMBER User Manual for P80 available. The web pages have been updated for the changes from P79 to P80. Important changes are the possibility to use the external fringe tracker FINITO with AMBER on the ATs.
- January 23, 2007: AMBER was succesfully used with 3 ATs and having FINITO as an external fringe tracker.
- September 1, 2006: First version of the AMBER User Manual for P79 available. The web pages have been updated for the changes from P78 to P79. Important changes are info on the allowed modes for the ATs.
- March 1, 2006: First version of the AMBER User Manual for P78 available. The web pages have been updated for the changes from P77 to P78. Important changes are info on the HR-K, LR-HK modes, significantly reduced execution times, and information on limits on the Coude guide star magnitude.
- September 1, 2005: First version of the AMBER User Manual for P77 available. The web pages have been updated for the changes from P76 to P77.
- July 1, 2005: Updated version of the AMBER User Manual P76 and the final version of the AMBER Template Manual for P76 made available. Note that the wavelength ranges for MRK2.1 and MRK2.3 have been updated.
- February 23, 2005: Final version of the AMBER web pages for the CfP76 release.
- January 12, 2005: First version of the AMBER web pages.