STARS, GAS AND DUST IN GALAXIES: EXPLORING THE LINKS
ESO/CTIO/LCO International Workshop
STARS, GAS AND DUST IN GALAXIES:
EXPLORING THE LINKS
15 - 18 MARCH, 2000
HOTEL CAJA DE COMPENSACION LOS ANDES
LA SERENA, CHILE
Understanding the many links between the various layers of stellar populations and the various phases of the interstellar medium within galaxies is important for a wide spectrum of unsolved astrophysical problems -- from developing a proper model of the ISM, to characterizing star formation on a global scale, to galaxy formation and evolution. While the links are being individually explored through different wavelength windows -- from X rays to mm waves -- an up-to-date overview of the mass and energy exchanges and budgets would be both timely and desirable. Therefore, we propose, as a subject of the upcoming workshop, to explore the links between stars, gas and dust within galaxies.
To this end, we will bring together astronomers from many subdisciplines. The format of a workshop will be ideal for making the best progress towards investigating the feedbacks among all the components within a galaxy. Moreover, holding the workshop in Chile -- the frontier for many new facilities -- and having the workshop organized by institutions which represent astronomers from both Europe and the USA will hopefully provide an international spirit as well as break subdisciplinary boundaries.
Scientific Organizing Committee:
D.Alloin (ESO), N. Arimoto (U. Tokyo), C.Balkowski (O.Meudon/Paris), F.Boulanger (IAS), G.Galaz (LCO), W.Gieren (U.Concepcion), E.Hardy (NRAO), G.Hensler (U.Kiel), P.Hodge (U.Washington), R. Kennicutt (U.Arizona), J.Melnick (ESO), D.Minniti (PUC), K.Olsen (CTIO), M.Rubio (U.Chile) & F.Schweizer (OCIW).
Local Organizing Committee:
D.Alloin (ESO), G.Galaz (LCO), K.Olsen (CTIO)
Guests: E. Athanassoula, F. Casoli, C. Cesarsky, C. Chiosi, Y.H. Chu, A. Ferrara, U. Fritze-v.Alvensleben,
J. Gallagher, C. Gallart, G.L.Granato, E. Grebel, G. Hensler, M. MacLow, C. Martin, S. Oey, D. Schaerer, J. Van Gorkom, D. Zaritsky.
Logistics: Ms. Andrea Lagarini at email@example.com - Tel:(56 2)228-5006 ext. 3113 Fax: (56 2)228-5132
The following list provides links to pages containing more detailed information about registration, and the workshop program:
- Read the Scientific Program
Registration: The registration fee is 270 DM or 150 US$ (to be paid upon arrival in cash, with travellers checks, euro checks, or US dollar checks, credit cards are not accepted). The information contained in this web page is regularly updated. Please check the date of the last update at the bottom of this page.
Upon Arrival: Airport Information in Santiago: http://www.gochile.cl/HBook/Airport.asp
Santiago Airport: International flights to Santiago arrive at the International Airport Terminal. In order to fly to La Serena, you need to go to the National Airport Terminal , which is located approximately 100 meters from the International Terminal.
To change airports: After Customs, you are on the ground level. Walk out of the International Airport premises, turn left towards a covered walkway, and follow it towards the smaller, older, building. The path is paved (thus, rolling luggage and airport trolleys can be moved easily on it). If you should need help to go from one terminal to the next, assistants are readily available.
Banking facilities at the Airport: Santiago Airport: There is an exchange booth in the baggage claim area which exchages Francs, DM and US$ only into pesos. Upon exiting customs on the left there is one ATM machine that can be used to obtain CHP from Visa, MasterCard, Cirrus ONLY. Please remember the machine will only provide pesos, it is not equipped to provide US dollar notes. Another ATM machine with the same features is available on the 3rd floor (departure area).
THE REGISTRATION DESK AT THE HOTEL VENUE WILL BE OPEN ON MARCH 14 FROM 17:00 - 21:00 HRS
NAME ADDRESS TelephoneSINGLEDOUBLE HOTEL FRANCISCO DE AGUIRRE Cordovez 210 (56 51) 222-991US$69
LA SERENA CLUB RESORT Av. Del Mar 1000 (56 51) 221-262
HOTEL COSTA REAL Av. Francisco de Aguirre 170 (56 51) 221-010
HOTEL CAJA DE COMPENSACION LOS ANDES
Los Nisperos 660 (56 51) 225-251US$48 DM 91
RESIDENCIAL SUIZA Cienfuegos 250 (56 51) 216- 092US$20 DM 38US$20
Cienfuegos 248 (56 51) 224-997US$20 DM 38US$20
About La Serena: La Serena is home to 3 major observatories:
Upon arrival at La Serena Airport: there is an bank teller machine with a sign REDBANC on it where you can obtain Chilean Pesos from your credit card/bank card.
There is easy access to downtown La Serena from the airport by taxi.
However, bus transfers will be available at approximately US$2 (or $1000 Chilean Pesos) per person (PLEASE HAVE CHANGE WITH YOU).
Bus transfer service will be available as of March 14 until March 15 AND for the return from March 18 to 19 on official airline arrival times only.
You may find information about La Serena, maps and other related data at: www.gochile.cl or http://gochile.cl/Map/Mapindex.html also, at the end of the page you will find a list of Restaurants in the area.
Please note the venue does not have an email access center.
For email access please note :
Restaurant Cuarto Cuervo, Avda del Mar 4600. Food & Beer/internet access.
(approx.15 minutes walk from workshop venue).
Netcafé, Cordovez 285.Cybercafe/ internet access (downtown)
For weather information: http://cnn.com/WEATHER/html/LaSerenaChile.html
Summer days are warm in La Serena, however, a light cardigan might be necessary for the evenings when the temperature drops.
Internal Flight Schedule: Santiago - La Serena - Santiago
Participants are requested to make their own travel arrangements to La Serena. Roundtrip ticket prices vary between US$80 - US$120 . We suggest you make your reservations at the earliest time possible.
From Santiago to La Serena (Lan Chile/Ladeco/Avant Airlines)
MONDAY TUESDAY WEDNESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY SUNDAY 09:25 09:25 09:25 09:25 09:25 09:25 10:55 10:55 10:55 10:55 10:55 10:55 10:55 11:20 15:05 15:05 15:05 11:20 15:05 15:05 12:35 18:05 18:05 18:05 15:05 18:30 N/A 18:05 N/A N/A N/A 18:05 N/A N/A N/A
From La Serena to Santiago (Lan Chile/Ladeco/Avant Airlines)
MONDAY TUESDAY WEDNESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY SUNDAY 10:50 10:50 10:50 10:50 10:50 10:50 N/A 15:50 15:50 15:50 15:50 15:50 N/A N/A 17:55 17:55 17:55 17:55 17:55 17:55 17:55 18:55 18:55 18:55 18:55 N/A 18:55 18:30 19:30 19:30 19:30 19:30
La Serena Restaurant Guide
- Donde el Guaton, Brasil 750. Chilean food. Great meat and reasonable prices. Good service and atmosphere.
- Bakulic Restaurant, Av. del Mar 5700. Chilean food and seafood. Reasonable prices. Good service and nice atmosphere.
- Bocaccio, Prat 490. Pizza, good sandwiches, deserts, express coffee, ice creams and pastry. Moderate prices. Good service and atmosphere.
- Café del Patio, Prat 470. Coffee, fruit juices, sandwiches.
- Restaurant Cuarto Cuervo, Avda del Mar 4600.
Check your email, good mexican food by the sea. English spoken.
- Netcafé, Cordovez 285. Cyber-café, internet, fruit juices, sandwiches. Familiar and young atmosphere.
- El Cedro, Prat 572. Arab food.
- La Tabla, Av. del Mar 3200. Seafood, Chilean food, excellent atmosphere, nice attention, prices affordable.
- El Atajo, Av. Del Mar 5685. Pub, restaurant, Tex-Mex.
- Tololo Beach, Av. del Mar 5200. Seafood, Chilean food, good atmosphere, nice attention, prices affordable.
- Hotel Francisco de Aguirre, Cordovez 210. Good international food. Expensive.
- Pastissima, O'Higgins 633. Chilean food. Pizza, crêpes and fresh fruit juices.
- La Bodega del Fraile, Las 4 Esquinas Huerto 89 (near Balmaceda and 4 Esquinas). Chilean food, excellent meat. Nice atmosphere.
- Mai Lan Fan, Cordovez 740. Chinese. Food fair, service and prices are OK.
- La Mia Pizza, Av. del Mar 2100. Good seafood, pizza. Reasonable service and great atmosphere.
- Brooklyn's, Av. Del Mar 2150. Pub and Discoteque.
- Don Oscar, Av. Del Mar 2500. Seafood.
- Pizza Mania, Peñuelas 167.
- Good pizzas and Italian food. Owners really Italian. Reasonable prices, fine service and nice atmosphere.
- Mesón Andaluz, Av. del Mar 5425.
- Spanish food, international food. Good restaurant, but expensive.
- Casino de Peñuelas, Av. Peñuelas Norte 56.
- Casino and restaurant.
- La Picá del Lupa, Av. del Mar 26.
- Good seafood, nice atmosphere.
- Zapoteco, Av. Los Pescadores 63.
- Tex-Mex. Nice restaurant.
- Kamanga, past Peñuelas
- Pub and discoteque.
- Don Chuma, Av. Costanera 4661.
- La Riojana, Balmaceda s/n, El Molle (town on the way to Cerro Tololo)
- Chilean. A well known country restaurant. Good meat and local fare. Very reasonable service and prices. Open, country atmosphere.
- Tiki-Tano, Totoralillo (about ~20km south of Coquimbo) Very nice Polynesian restaurant on the beach.
- Hosteria Tongoy, Tongoy (town ~40km south of Coquimbo)Chilean & seafood. Slightly higher prices than surrounding restaraunts, excellent service and atmosphere.
Cerro Tololo Interamerican Observatory - Casilla 603, La Serena, Chile (56 2 51)225-415