"The Cool Universe: Observing Cosmic Dawn"
OCTOBER 4 - 8, 2004 - VALPARAISO, CHILE
jointly organized by the International Astronomical Observatories in Chile
hosted by Universidad Técnica Santa María, Valparaíso
sponsored by ESO, NOAO, LCO, GEMINI, NRAO, NAOJ
- Rationale: With the official start of the ALMA construction phase, it is of the utmost importance to usher in the astrophysical topics that will be the prime scientific drivers for this outstanding facility. This is why we have chosen to organize the 2004 IAOC workshop on the subject of the cool universe and, in particular, the contribution that ALMA will make towards our understanding of the formation of astronomical objects on scales that range from protoplanetary systems to galaxies. Chile, the home of ALMA and the location of several existing submm, mm and cm telescopes (ASTE, APEX, CBI, Nanten,...), is a place that is particularly appropriate for hosting such a workshop. The workshop will consist of a series of reviews, followed by oral contributions, to discuss physical processes in cool material and the astronomical objects in which these processes take place.
- Targeted audience: the astronomical community with interest in the astrophysical use of ALMA and other cm/mm/submm facilities in Chile.
- The IAOC includes: ESO observatories (La Silla and Paranal), CTIO, Gemini, SOAR, Las Campanas, Magellan, CBI, APEX, ASTE, Nanten2, ALMA (ESO-NRAO) and ALMA-J.
- Sponsors: European Southern Observatory, National Optical Astronomy Observatory, Las Campanas Observatory, Gemini Observatory, National Radio Astronomy Observatory, National Astronomical Observatory of Japan.
- Host: Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María, Valparaíso.
- Grants: a number of grants is available for students to support their local expenses.
- Registration fee: see the registration page.