Travel to ESO Vitacura Office, Santiago & ALMA Santiago Central Office
Alonso de Córdova 3107
Vitacura, Casilla 19001
Santiago de Chile
Please note that visitors are received by appointment only.
The ESO offices in Chile are located in Vitacura, one of the districts of Santiago. ESO Vitacura hosts astronomers, technicians and administrative staff who contribute to the successful operations of ESO sites. ESO/Chile astronomers perform most of their research here, using the data collected at La Silla, Paranal or elsewhere. Regular talks, colloquia and seminars have turned ESO Vitacura into a very active scientific node, acting as a bridge between researchers in Europe and Chile.
How to reach Vitacura Office, Santiago & ALMA Santiago Central Office
The ESO Office in Santiago is located in Alonso de Córdova 3107, by the Mapocho River in the heart of Vitacura, a district extending over an area of 28.3 km2 in the northeastern part of the city.
Arriving by plane
Please note that airfares to and from Chile can get quite pricey when booking shorter than 3 months in advance. The Arturo Merino Benitez Airport is located 17 km northwest of Santiago.
The fastest way to get to the ESO Vitacura office from the airport is by taxi. ESO guests normally use the Transvip service, a private company located in the baggage claim area and also on the first floor of the airport.
The average cost from the airport to the ESO Vitacura office by taxi is CLP 20 000 (EUR 25) and the journey takes approximately 30 minutes.
A cheaper, but slower way to get to the Vitacura Office is to take a transfer bus to the Metro network. The larger transfer companies are Tur-Bus or Centro Puerto, both connecting with Line 1 of the Metro network. The estimated cost is CLP 1300 (~2 EUR).
- The Metro (subway) network in Santiago has four lines. The closest station to the Vitacura office is Tobalaba (Line 1), located in a neighboring district called Providencia. The estimated cost is CLP 700 (~1 EUR). From Tobalaba station you can either take a taxi (approximate cost CLP 2500 / 4 EUR) or Transantiago — public bus network — number 405 (CLP 700 /~1 EUR — or use your metro ticket), from the corner of Vitacura/Encomenderos to Vitacura/Alonso de Córdova. On Alonso de Cordova, walk west four blocks to the main entrance of ESO's Vitacura premises on the right. Payments are made with a special card called “Bip!” (see below)
- Transantiago (public buses). This is a system of buses with regular routes interconnected with Metro stations. Each trip costs CLP 700 (1 EUR) and allows up to three combinations of buses and Metro within 120 minutes. Payments are made with the "Bip!" card.
- BIP! card. This is a payment card for both public buses and Metro, available at all Metro stations for a minimum fare of CLP 2500 (4 EUR).
Accommodation in Vitacura
There are many hotels in Vitacura. ESO guests normally stay at one of the following:
- Atton El Bosque, located a few blocks from Tobalaba Metro station, Line 1
- Atton Las Condes, located a few blocks from Manquehue Metro station, Line 1
- Holiday Inn Express Santiago, located near to El Golf Metro station, Line 1
Further information on accommodation in Vitacura and other districts in Santiago is available on external pages:
Food at Vitacura
There are many restaurants just a few blocks away from the ESO premises at Vitacura, including an extensive choice of restaurant five or ten minutes walking distance away in Av. Vitacura, Av. Alonso de Córdova and Av. Nueva Costanera. Further information on restaurants in this area and the rest of Santiago is available in external pages (welcomechile, tripadvisor).
ESO facilities in Vitacura
ESO Vitacura is ESO's main office in Chile, located by the Mapocho river, near to CEPAL (Economic Commission for Latin America and Caribbean) and across from the building of Municipalidad de Vitacura.
The ESO Vitacura Office hosts astronomers, technicians and administrative staff who contribute to the development of ESO as a forefront astronomical organization. Regular talks, colloquia and seminars, given by astronomers and students, have turned ESO Vitacura into a very active site of scientific development. ESO astronomers perform most of their research here, using the data collected at La Silla, Paranal or elsewhere. It is also a diplomatic point of contact since the Representation office is here. The ESO premises also hosts the ALMA Observatory central offices.
Experience the ESO Headquarters in Santiago with ESO's Virtual Tours.