Call for Proposals for an ESA-ESO Joint International Conference in 2019
Science workshops represent a unique opportunity to foster ideas and collaborations. Acknowledging the need to further catalyse exchanges between astrophysics-related space-born missions and ground-based facilities as well as between their respective communities, ESA and ESO are joining forces to organise a series of international Astronomy meetings, alternating between ESO and ESA sites.
In 2019, a Joint ESA-ESO workshop will take place at ESO Headquarters in Garching (Germany).
PROPOSAL SUBMISSION AND DEADLINE
Proposers should use the available templates (Word & LibreOffice versions, see right panel).
Proposals should be sent as PDF only to: Stella Chasiotis-Klingner (firstname.lastname@example.org) by June 29, midnight CEST.
CONTENT OF PROPOSALS
With this call, we would like to specifically invite members of the astronomical community to submit proposals for an ESA-ESO workshop, to be held in 2019:
- The proposal should strongly motivate the synergetic aspects uniquely associated with this joint ESA-ESO call, hence should relate to science/facility-related topics where bothESA and ESO have provided and/or provide crucial contributions.
- The proposal should describe the scientific area to be covered by the workshop and the format (e.g. expected number of participants, location, organising committee, keynote speakers) using the form provided. Tentative lists for SOC members and Invited Speakers should be included.
- When planning your workshop, please take into account that these workshops strive to achieve gender balance in all aspects, including representation on the organising committees, session chairs, and through invitations to high quality speakers of both sexes in line with the gender balance in our research community. To monitor the success of this policy we will be collecting demographic information of participants from the Workshop participants - see also the important note in the Proposal form (available to download from the right-hand menu).
Proposed workshops will be evaluated by an ad-hoc committee of ESA and ESO Staff. The selection committee will rank the proposals based on the scientific timeliness and the perceived augmented benefit to the joint ESA and ESO communities.
For the present call, the ESO staff will be acting as the local point of contact (LOC); hence please consider involving them at the proposal stage.
Note that the organisers will be requested to submit a brief (1-2 pages) report on the event, including its scientific outcome, its impact on the ESA and ESO communities, and potential suggestions for improvements regarding this dedicated workshop series.
For further information about this call, please contact Stella Chasiotis-Klingner (email@example.com).
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANT DATES
- Deadline for submission of workshop proposals: By June 29, midnight CEST.
- Notification of workshop acceptance: TBC
- Workshop Call for Papers and materials for workshop website: TBC