In this page, you will find all the manuals needed to prepare and analyze your observations with FORS2. Please be sure to download that corresponding to the period in which the observations will take place.
All the manuals are in Adobe's Acrobat format.
- FORS2 User's Manual
All the information about the instrument itself, its modes and their characteristics.
- FORS2 Template User Manual
Detailed information on the acquisition, observation, and calibration templates.
- Period 92 for observations during the current and next periods.
- FORS2 FIMS User Manual
Detailed information on the Instrumental Mask Simulator software tool to prepare precise target acquisitions at Phase 2
- Period 92, for observations during the current and next periods.
- FORS1+2 Data Reduction Cookbook
A detailed set of guidelines for overcoming common problems with reducing FORS data
- Version 1, to be used for data from all periods
- FORS1+2 Pipeline
The various pipeline recipes to reduce FORS data are available here.
- Science Data Product Forum forum
- REFLEX Tutorial
Tutorial reflex workflow for LSS/MOS/MXU data is available here.
- Data reduction frequently asked questions
A list of Frequently Asked Questions on data reduction is also available.
- FORS2 Absolute Photometry Project
Detailed information on the FORS Absolute Photometry (FAP) project, whose goal is to produce a 3% absolute photometric accuracy,
if nights are photometric (see Freudling et al., 2006).
Nightly zeropoints and extinction coefficients are available at
and the description of the table entries and definitions can be found at
Due to the method used, the nightly zeropoints become available with a delay of about 4 weeks.
- Historical FORS1+FORS2 User Manual
The Period 82 version of the User Manual contains information on FORS1 and FORS2 prior to the merger of the two instruments in 2008.