Tools and Tips
XSHOOTER contributed paper library
Publications based on X-shooter data should quote the reference paper: Vernet et al. 2011, A&A, 536A, 105.
- Articles: ADS
- An excerpt of XSHOOTER operations at Paranal (Martayan et al.)
- The physical model: quality control for X-Shooter (Moehler et al.)
- The X-shooter pipeline (Modigliani et al.)
- Using the X-shooter physical model: instrument flexure (Bristow et al.)
- Performances of X-shooter (Vernet et al.)
- Meeting devoted to the 1st year of XSHOOTER science (October 19-22, 2010): website
- "Building up a database of spectro-photometric standard stars from the UV to the NIR: a status report" (2008, SPIE, 7016E, 46, Vernet et al.)
- "Results of X-shooter data reduction software on laboratory frames" (2008, SPIE, 7014E, 193, Goldoni et al.)
XSHOOTER specific tools and information
- Telluric Standard Star Catalogue Search Tool (the "Hipparcos/2MASS B stars single" catalogue contains a list of single, B-type, main-sequence stars, verified in previous X-shooter observations)
- SM spectrophotometric standard stars
- Flux tables: Moehler et al. (2014), VIZIER
- Spectrophotometric standard stars for the UVB arm (ascii)
- Spectrophotometric standard stars for the VIS arm (ascii)
- Spectrophotometric standard stars for the NIR arm (ascii)
- ThAr lines atlas for the UVB arm and (ascii)
- ThAr lines atlas for the VIS arm and (ascii)
- Hg/Ar/Ne/Xe atlas for the NIR arm (ascii)
- Sky lines atlas for VIS arm (ascii)
- Sky lines atlas for NIR arm (ascii)
- XSHOOTER pipeline, REFLEX worflow
Telluric standard stars - WARNING:
Starting from Period 101, telluric standard stars are not provided by the observatory as part of the calibration plan. Users are encouraged to use the molecfit tool, which allows users to fit and correct telluric lines. However, observations of telluric standard stars may be required in some cases (large number of intrinsic features, little or no continuum, low S/N), whose corresponding execution time must be taken into account at Phase 1. Telluric standard stars can be searched for with the Telluric Standard Star Catalogue Search Tool.
Observatory provided telluric standard stars were observed in nodding mode since Period 91. The 400kHz readout mode for the UVB/VIS arms was used independently of the readout speed of the science observations. Detector binning was the same as for the science observations. The spectra had about 10,000 ADUs in the middle of the brightest orders of each arm (S/N~50-100).
Generic tools and information
Some information and tools that are shared by all instruments.
- ETC, Exposure Time Calculators
- Proposal Preparation and Submission
- Preparation of Phase 2 material for service-mode (SM) observations. Please check the instrument-specific phase 2 requirements or phase 2 news.
- Instrument Health Check (HC) plots. Click on the X-SHOOTER entry on the top-left corner to access the monitoring plots of the XSHOOTER UVB, VIS, and NIR spectrographs.