FLAMES - Fibre Large Array Multi Element Spectrograph
FLAMES is the multi-object, intermediate and high resolution spectrograph of the VLT. Mounted at UT2, FLAMES can access targets over a field of view 25 arcmin in diameter. FLAMES feeds two different spectrograph covering the whole visual spectral range: GIRAFFE and UVES. GIRAFFE allows the observation of up to 130 targets at the time or to do integral field spectroscopy, with intermediate resolution (either R ~ 25000 or R~ 10000). UVES provides the maximum possible resolution (R=47000) but can access only up to 8 objects at the time.
Publications based on data obtained with the FLAMES instrument should quote the following reference paper: Pasquini, L. et al. 2002, The Messenger 110, 1.
- Questions related to service mode observations and proposal preparation should be addressed to the User Support Department.
- Questions related to visitor mode observations should be addressed to Paranal Science Operations
- Please send us your comments, suggestions and report errors and inaccurate statements in the web pages and manuals.
Content of these pages
The following items are available on all the FLAMES pages, using the bar on the left.
- Overview: a short description of the instrument
- News: list of changes affecting the instrument and/or its pages.
- Instrument Description: all the important parameters of the instrument.
- Manuals: links to all the documents related to FLAMES.
- Tools: a collection of useful tools and informations for preparing and analyzing the FLAMES observations.
- Instrument Operation Team
- Visitor Instructions: Instrument specific instructions for Visiting Astronomers